Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Newbie question. Mixing Poly and Mono in schematics?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Newbie question. Mixing Poly and Mono in schematics?

Postby R&R » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:32 pm

Bloody h*... Leap of faith it is then!
Got a license, before I'm anywhere near confident about the plugin in demo FS. Hopefully Outsim will give us FS4 eventually.

So lets see then if I can get it to work. I suspect I'll regret it. Is 3.06 able to open 3.08... or am I screwed here too?
Last edited by R&R on Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R&R

Postby Spogg » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:44 pm

R&R wrote:... I'm sporting demo with 5 min limit on .EXE and noise VST plugin and ALL :D No problem running a demo on new machine image every 7th day. If that is against the license agreement well, then I have to quit all together then.

I'm not publishing anything and working within demo-limitations.
Can't even get the plugin to work as expected. "That" IS the problem.

Sounds ok to me but I haven’t read the license agreement because I can’t be arsed. :lol:
My real concern was if you have a dodgy copy it might be causing problems, but that’s a non-issue thankfully.

And I totally agree about the trial period being too short, for the reason you gave. In my case I bought a license based on faith only, and for me it paid off. But I can understand that for those on a tight budget more certainty before purchase becomes highly relevant.
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:53 pm

R&R wrote:Bloody h*... Leap of faith it is then!
Got a license, before I'm anywhere near confident about the plugin in demo FS. Hopefully Outsim will give us FS4 eventually.

So lets see then if I can get it to work. I suspect I'll regret it. Is 3.06 able to open 3.08... or am I screwed here too?

Our posts crossed!

Yes 3.06 will open 3.08.1 schematics. I did this when I changed to 3.06 some years ago. The one exception is that a few of Martin’s modules might fail if you edit inside the ASM code. This is because 3.08.1 has some extra ASM functions. But if you don’t change any ASM in his modules they should work fine in 3.06. I believe this is because the ASM text is converted to CPU code which stays “inside” the module, but if you change the ASM text it will recompile incorrectly.

I sincerely wish you every success and great fun.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:36 pm

I sincerely wish you every success and great fun.

Any obstacle overcome in FS seems a win :lol:

Hmmm...
I think I have added some ASM:ed versions of additional filters from the old ported synthmaker-uploads... (not sure if they are MV's though, the moog one probably is).
But these can be swicthed back to DSP versions, I don't think It makes any performance difference in the grand scheme of the chaos, I mean "things".

I replaced some of my FS sine-osc's with MV's sine but did't notice much performance difference. I need osc-sync and also wan't to keep the upper harmonics of the saw waves so I'm mostly using FS own wavetable osc's for now.

Don't know if there is an ASM:ed ramp-osc out there that adds the harmonics? or if there is any point in combining a ramp and a exponentially decaying sine in a single DSP performance wise.

Damn, would be nice if i knew a bit more DSP... some ASM and math at all would have been useful :D

Other than that I mostly use prims and some simple DSP snippets. The problems for me I believe stems from raw realtime performance- and audiobuffer-issues. Some stuff I could optimise if I knew DSP.
ASM is a no go for me. I programmed a few single chip-computers to do simple functions back in school a long time ago. I don't think my brain i capable of moving and allocating bits in memory addresses anymore, especially when my own memory is failing :D :D :D

Anyways, the amount of connections can't be reduced. Modulation... well... has to have sources and destinations 8-)
R&R

Postby R&R » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:41 pm

Whats causing the instability?
Attachments
1.jpg
This one bothered me...
1.jpg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
2.jpg
So I zoomed in... and... There it is!
2.jpg (31.91 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
R&R

Postby R&R » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:01 pm

Jokes aside...

The mono2poly seems dodgy.

I think I only use like... 3 of them. Two for free running LFO and one for a scope.
Got rid of the above one for the scope. I could run the blue almost directly to the scopes graph prim instead because of an earlier change.
Think I gained back "some" stability by removing this mono2poly. But have to test more. Waiting for FS license to download 3.06 as recommended.

Me placing this particular mono2poly so late in the schematic and feeding earlier modules and prims with it might have caused unnecessary timing issues maybe.

Problem is still the free runnning LFO's.
Wish I could isolate a poly-stream and run a perpetual midi-event on that one as LFO instead. But If that was even achievable all the modulation "to and from" would have to be filtered. Doesn't seem possible in FS... but what do I know...
R&R

Postby R&R » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:25 pm

Hmmm...
Discovering unexpected things.

Does DSP catch stream data from elsewhere other than the schematic connections to them?
I placed a DSP after a selector and still it recieves stream data even when selector is on another input. Magic? :D
R&R

Postby Spogg » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:48 am

R&R wrote:Does DSP catch stream data from elsewhere other than the schematic connections to them?
I placed a DSP after a selector and still it recieves stream data even when selector is on another input. Magic? :D

You’ve reminded me of something I used to occasionally see in 3.08.1 but not in 3.06. That would be corruption of the selector prim’s code when copy-pasting parts of the schematic with selectors in. To fix it I would first close and re-open FS and if that didn’t work I would bring in a new selector prim and swap links then delete the faulty one. What you’re describing shouldn’t happen!

I must say I’ve never yet had a problem using the mono to poly module.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:20 am

Thanks Spogg! Good to know that the selector is the cause in this case...

Yes reopening project reloading schematic entirely is what ususally fixes observed ghost interaction.
Apparently in this case it doesn't.

Rule 1. Never talk about fight club. Rule 2. Never copy paste selectors.

Just waiting for my license i'm curious about trying the older 3.06.

You'll have to excuse me. I have alot of selector to swap better get going :lol:
R&R

Postby Spogg » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:52 am

R&R wrote:Thanks Spogg!
Just waiting for my license i'm curious about trying the older 3.06.

It’s been years since I bought mine but I seem to recall that once you’ve paid for it you get access to the full versions from the download area (for 1 year). I don’t recall having to wait for a code or notification via email.
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to General