Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

What can we use Wave arrays for?

For general discussion related FlowStone

What can we use Wave arrays for?

Postby Spogg » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Hello!

I’m just wondering what applications we can achieve with Wave arrays. I don't recall seeing anyone making use of them so far.

Cleary I’m missing something here because time has been invested in providing the various prims using Wave arrays.

Any suggestions or projects I could look at...?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Re: What can we use Wave arrays for?

Postby HughBanton » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Happy New Year! (Umm .. is it New Year on Vulcan yet :?: )

I wondered about this too, when I was first working on my HB3 organ generator (which I know you're familiar with).

My design features a separate waveform stored for each note, so no doubt I could have used the Wave Array prim to read them. But I couldn't see any advantage, and instead I've simply used the basic Wave Read and essentially I've summed the two indexes - Wave Number & Sample - as shown in the lower half of the attached.

It's puzzling what the difference is between the two, and why we'd need the Array version.

Reminds me again of a question I posted recently, which I never got to the bottom of .. can anyone explain the stereo/mono part of the wav format, and how FS deals with it? As far as I can make out the only way to make a stereo wav that FS recognises as such is by using e.g. Mem Create; I made some attempts at manually creating a 'wav header', tagged on to the start of an float array (containing wave data) but FS wasn't having it!

Right, back to the serious job of the day, building my new Red E-Type.

OK, OK, it's only 5" long, but hey :lol:

Hugh
Attachments
Wav_v_WavArray.fsm
(334 Bytes) Downloaded 814 times
HughBanton

Postby Spogg » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Hugh, You have to bear in mind that a Vulcan year is 202.61 earth days, but this is an average due to the well-known orbital perturbations we get.

My next celebration of kohl-lodzh’a will be on March 11th, but it will be just me and the clay, unless you know of another t’hy’la who could join me.

Anyways, back to the pretend world, your illustration underlines my puzzlement about where the Wave array offers advantages!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:14 pm

The wave array comes in handy when using the "Midi to Multi Voice" prim. This prim allows you to work very much like with a sampler. You define zones, for example for lowest and highest key, or lowest and highest velocity. For a multi-sampled instrument you want these velocities recorded in different samples, rather than just playing the same sample louder or quieter. The prim sends out a voice tag depending on the zone the midi note falls in, so that you can send that voice tag as an index to the wave array prim.

Much less cluttered schematic, much easier to maintain, and a really nice addition for those who want to create multi-sampled instruments.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:28 am

Hey thanks tulamide!

Now I get it. I never thought of such an application :oops:

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Return to General