Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Learning with Ruby Portable

For general discussion related FlowStone

Learning with Ruby Portable

Postby jjs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

This is a handy tool you can take with you everywhere you go and have some time to learn Ruby.
The latest Ruby version but then portable, seems like it was not easy to make it portable but they succeed.
take a look here:
http://www.yellosoft.us/portable-ruby

also easy if you have brake at work but you are not allowed to install anything on your work-computer.

Works on Windows and Linux so everyone can use it, Apple osx 10.4 has Ruby built in.
jjs

Re: Learning with Ruby Portable

Postby trogluddite » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:46 pm

What a neat idea! :D

It will need a little care when learning from it though - it says that it is a compiled version of Ruby 1.8.6 - FS uses the latest 1.9.3 version, and there are a few differences that you have to watch out for. Nothing really major if you want to learn the basic syntax and "principles" of Ruby, but don't rely 100% on it for learning individual methods and classes, as it may catch you out when you come to use stuff in FS and it doesn't quite work the same.

The Sketchup 3D software I use is getting ready to upgrade from 1.8.6->1.9.3, and one of the guys there made this cool comparison chart. - might be useful if you run into any "translation" problems.

You can web search for "Ruby API docs <version number>" and get complete descriptions of all the methods and classes for every old (and new) version of Ruby.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby pfv » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Is there a reference somewhere for all the graphics methods Flowstone accepts , ex. "drawRoundRect"?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, solved with RTFM.
pfv

Postby jbonnell4394 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi, What is RTFM.. I'm in need of this Reference as well.. I'm a begginer with Ruby.

Thanks.

-J
jbonnell4394

Postby jjs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:15 pm

jbonnell4394 wrote:Hi, What is RTFM.. I'm in need of this Reference as well.. I'm a begginer with Ruby.

Thanks.

-J

that is not Ruby, allthough you could make RTFM an object.....

it means: Read The F*cking Manual

but hen again i'm also an absolut beginner with Ruby
jjs

Postby pfv » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:19 pm

It's in the manual, chapter 8 "Ruby Component", starting at page 122.
pfv

Postby jbonnell4394 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:38 am

Duh!!!! Should have known that... been flipping thru that manual for a few days now and just didn't come across that
thanks a million guys... I'll load it up right now and check it out... :-)

*Edit* I'm never going to get any sleep!
jbonnell4394

Postby infuzion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:29 am

Perhaps better if you don't want to mess with any installs & have internet connection:
http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/ruby
infuzion

Postby jjs » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Great one ! Infuzion.
jjs

Postby tor » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 am

it is mentioned in the forum before. but i mention it again: http://rubymonk.com very good site.
my biggest obstacle when it comes to learn ruby is actually spending time with it and the tutorial above.
i am at the third attempt to finnish it now :P

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/ruby seems like a equally good resource :)

btw: a hot tip is that you can use a method called '.method' on any object in ruby and it works fine in the FS ruby component aswell. So if you have an array called ie 'forummembers' and wonder what methods available to this array then write at the bottom of your code:
Code: Select all
forummembers.method

it will output a list of all methods available in the bottom panel of the ruby component.
tor

Return to General