Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

what's new in Snowflake...

For general discussion related FlowStone

what's new in Snowflake...

Postby MyCo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:31 am

Hi,

What a weird name for a part of software, that's that huge ;)

I thought I demonstrate some of the new improvements and features. Let's start with the good news for all previous S|M users. The Devs improved the oscillators, the difference on SSE2 machines like most audio geeks have, is huge. Take a look here:

Saw oscillator
saw.jpg
saw.jpg (60.6 KiB) Viewed 24744 times

Wave table oscillator
wavetable.jpg
wavetable.jpg (61.68 KiB) Viewed 24744 times

Sine oscillator
sine.jpg
sine.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 24744 times

Basically, that are ~33% less in most of them.
MyCo

Re: what's new in Snowflake...

Postby MyCo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:37 am

The next new thing is in the redraw method inside Ruby. Now you can pass a rectangle as parameter to it, so you can do partial redraws now. That's very good for big GUI components!
But actually it's not possible to know inside the draw method, if you should do a full redraw or a partial redraw. Malc said, that this won't change, because of the internal structure of FS. I think, we can live with it.

Here is a simple Demo:
Area redraw demo (MyCo).fsm
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 1037 times
MyCo

Postby MyCo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:41 am

The last new thing, that I'll show: There are some new functions for GraphicsPath. With those new functions, you can do hit testing on any path, no matter if it's flatt or curved. I've attached a demo that demonstrates the functions "isOutlineVisible" and "isVisible". BTW: It also shows Pen.getWidth, but that's kind of trivial.
Attachments
Hit testing (MyCo).fsm
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 1022 times
MyCo

Postby MyCo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:44 am

Just to complete the first post. Here are the benchmark schematics, that I've used for the oscillator CPU measurement.
Attachments
Wavetable Benchmark.fsm
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 993 times
Sine Benchmark.fsm
(848 Bytes) Downloaded 1007 times
Saw Benchmark.fsm
(625 Bytes) Downloaded 973 times
MyCo

Postby trogluddite » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:54 pm

Top stuff, MyCo, thanks for all those funky examples. :D

Snowflake -
Hmmm, I can see where that came from - here in the UK we had our first snow of the year this week, and "down south" got it the worst - where better to look for 'poetic inspiration' than just outside the window!
This is a strange thing about the UK - all of the media is based in the south, so if they get one flake of snow in London, they get crazy about how it is going to be "the worst winter for a zillion years". Up here in the North , it can snow as much as it likes, and they take no notice at all!
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Jay » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Lol yeh it is funny how the south of England reacts to the snow! one snowflake and the motorways grind to a halt and the supermarkets run out of all the essentials because of panic buying!
Down your neck of the woods ppl are made of hardier stuff trogg! In fact you Yorkshire folks are pretty damn near as Scottish as you are English IMHO!

In fact the ppl of Doncaster are defo Scottish lol http://uk.news.yahoo.com/doncaster--is- ... light.html

last week when it snowed up here, I was doing some shopping in Glasgow and all the young folks were wandering around in tee shirts,short skirts etc! It was minus 2deg according to my car temp readout! lol

Oh and before i forget my reason for posting, ;) Myco did you user modules still keep their tags and position within the toolbox? mines never! they were all there but mixed into the preset toolbox sections/categories!

;)
Jay

Postby Walter Sommerfeld » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:55 pm

My User Tags are gone... = Reset ?

btw: Robotics always missing
Walter Sommerfeld

Postby tester » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:57 am

I have not tested yet, but simple question to sine oscillator (and I guess others too).

If you create exact 100 seconds long (=0.01Hz accuracy) sound sample on sine osc - does it loops without a glitch? In SM I've noticed, that buit-in oscillators were not accurate (zero crosing), thus it was not possible to create loopable sound samples. There was some work done (SM forum) on alternative sine osc with proper frequency handling, but it had a problem with accurate phase offsets, plus for some reason - not always worked (activated) in multi-design.

The speed improvement is a good news; my little big old project was reaching CPU peak very quickly ;-)
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby Nubeat7 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:56 pm

thanks myco for your documentation!
oh yes its the same at mine ... all my own tools are somewhere, i think its because all the user categories were deleted after the update... but i uninstalled the old version before i installed the snowflake, so maybe it was my fault?

hmm, are the user tags saved with a project? because i often load modules in my toobox which created for the actual project ...
Nubeat7

Postby support » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 am

MyCo, this is a great post - thanks for taking the time to highlight this. Thanks also for your help in making these changes in the first place. You all may not be aware but MyCo was the catalyst for these changes and he also suggested the optimisations as well.

Yes, snowflake was a reference to the time of year and the change in weather. Yes Jay, you're right, we're never prepared for snow down here in the South :) These names have been introduced to give the releases a bit more character. Sometimes they will reference what's in the update and other times (like this) the link will be a bit more tenuous.

Re. the toolbox tags - has something gone wrong? Really sorry if we broke something. We forgot to mention in the release notes that we changed how the module tags work because it was causing problems for people bringing .hom files from SM or when there were duplicate names. All module tags are now stored with the module only and not in the tag files. Before Snowflake they were stored in both. So the only change we made is that software no longer looks in the tag files for module tags - only in the module.

What's happened? Have you lost tags?
support

Next

Return to General