Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Multiple GUIs

For general discussion related FlowStone

Multiple GUIs

Postby mschack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:34 am

Hello,

Is there any way (or plan) to add multiple GUI windows for such things as pop-up/floating windows or tabbed interfaces?
Or maybe even (don't hate me...) docking windows?

I love the software, love the concept, there is great potential here.

Thanks,
Mark
mschack

Re: Multiple GUIs

Postby support » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:02 am

Hi Mark, do you mean within your own creations or are you talking about the editing environment?
support

Postby mschack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Sorry, within my creation...
mschack

Postby support » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:22 pm

No need to apologise Mark.

Actually I could have answered your question earlier regardless of knowing the answer to mine so I should be apologising.

No there isn't a way to do this at the moment, sorry. It's not something we've looked at doing either. Is it something you really need then?
support

Postby mschack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 pm

I have no pressing need for it. The reason I ask is that I am a SW developer and when I first became familiar with FS I thought it was a wonderful idea, even to the point where I thought I might use it for development where I work. We do alot of software that requires lots of configuration parameters and they are usually best hidden away until you need them, with the main screen showing various runtime status and statistics (We make industrial communication devices for backplanes and PC cards for networks like EIP, profibus, devicenet)

The single panel concept would probably not work in such and application as it would be too busy. I can't help but feel that adding something like popup or floating window support would make FS more appealing for a broader range of applications.

Anyway maybe I am trying to fit the round peg into the square peg. As I mentioned I do like FS and do look forward to using it for audio/music applications.

Thanks for your quick feedback
Mark
mschack

Postby MyCo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 pm

That what you requested can be done already, but not as real windows. Tabbed interfaces are absolutely no problem. You can do popups as fake windows, and with a lot of affort you can also do floating/docking fake-windows.
MyCo

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:28 pm

although as support says you are not able to do certain things you have asked about! and as Myco says you can achieve a lot with fakery, the tabbed GUI is already done in SM some years ago! Im sure someone will port it over to ruby soon enough

in the meantime here is the old method, im not sure who authored this item but i am sure they wont mind me sharing it here
tabbed gui.fsm
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 1183 times

and here is a multi popup windows schematic that i did a couple of years ago! the two windows are dragable and are given focus by clicking the darker bar at the top of the boxes
multi pupup windows-Dragable-with focus.fsm
(128.33 KiB) Downloaded 1110 times

hope these are of some help!

Best regards
Jay

Postby mschack » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:13 am

Thanks for the help guys!
mschack

Postby jjs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:05 pm

But you can make a 2 windowed program.
well you make 2 programs and let them communicate with each other.

something like this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bs5figh ... =directory
jjs

Return to General