Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Flowstone interfacing to Parallax Propeller

For general discussion related FlowStone

Flowstone interfacing to Parallax Propeller

Postby fixstuff555 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi all,

I am interested in using a Parallax Propeller Servo Controller, Parallax #28830 interfaced to Flowstone. The API mechanism may be similar to the Lynxmotion interface, and I was wondering what would be recommended as a starting point to accomplishing this with the Propeller. I have a lot of interest in both the Propeller and Flowstone, so I believe the two would be a real good fit. Any ideas on how to go about doing this? I'm an intermediate level Spin programmer, and a beginner Flowstone user, but I have ran all of the demos on the forum (found some bugs in that stuff btw :) but they were definitely usable examples!)

http://www.parallax.com/

thanks
fixstuff555

Re: Flowstone interfacing to Parallax Propeller

Postby admin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:19 am

I just had a quick look, and it is very similar as you say to the LynxMotion board. ie. Serial command driven. The main difference is that is has a USB to serial converter on the board from FTDI (which is great!).
So it should be quite a simple job to modify the LynxMotion examples and just change the codes sent to the board!

The full protocol is described in the user manual: http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downl ... B-v1.0.pdf

For this board you have a simple string to control each servo:

"!SC", ch, ra, pw.LOWBYTE, pw.HIGHBYTE, CR

Preamble, Channel, Ramp Speed, LSB, MSB, CR (String Terminator)

So the centre a servo (1.5ms) = !SC,0,32,238,2,13

Where:
!SC = Preamble
ch = 0 = servo 1 (0-15)
ra = 32 (Half speed 0 - 63)
pulse width = 1.5ms = 750*2us = 02EEh,or 02, 238 Decimal
LSB = 238
MSB = 2
<cr>= 13(ASCII)

To send the data in FlowStone you can send each byte individually using the com port module as per the LynxMotion examples. Remember the default baud rate is 2400.

Give it a go and see if it works?
admin
Site Admin

Return to General