Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Saving/Stored Data inside vst (Serial System)

For general discussion related FlowStone

Saving/Stored Data inside vst (Serial System)

Postby Drnkhobo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Hey guys, I'm hitting a stone wall here, bashing my brain.
My question is can I save or store data inside my plugin ?

So I have a plugin and when i press a button it creates a serial number. It obviously goes to a string component inside.
I then link that string to a label module. So I can see it on the GUI. Next time I load the plugin, will it have the number?
I haven't tested this yet so I have no idea.

As you can see I'm looking to implement a serial number system for my plug and it must "know" what key to look for.
When I create the serial in the plug it also creates the unlocking key, so when I send the key to the user and he loads it, it must equal the one when he generated the serial. (This is done inside the plugin)

I can see to get around this by saving an encrypted "unlock key" generated when serial is created. And then save the "unlocking key" I give to the user.
Then every time the plug loads it decrypts those 2 files and checks them.

Anyone done this before or have any ideas??

Much appreciated!
Drnkhobo

Re: Saving/Stored Data inside vst (Serial System)

Postby stw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:21 am

You can't store any data inside the VST itself. You've to store it anywhere on the HD. Possible locations are e.g. a System data folder, the User data folder or any folder you install beside your plug in.
But i doubt that any encryption will make sense for that purpose.
stw

Postby VPDannyMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:36 am

Tom store the string you need..

-String prim
-String sample and hold prim

Connect the string to the string s&h then when you need the string, trigger the sample and hold
Done
VPDannyMan

Postby VPDannyMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 am

stw wrote:You can't store any data inside the VST itself. You've to store it anywhere on the HD. Possible locations are e.g. a System data folder, the User data folder or any folder you install beside your plug in.
But i doubt that any encryption will make sense for that purpose.

'TwoFish encrypotion would work fine..

Here's a GEM
http://rubygems.org/gems/twofish
VPDannyMan

Postby Drnkhobo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks VPDannyMan,

I am going to do some tests with the two fish encryption ;)

I guess it's my only option because no data can be stored inside my plugin.

I'm struggling a bit with writing txt files to disk though. I use a system folders prim connected to a ruby module that adds text to its input. So I can output a specified folder inside a sys folder. Example, "Documents\Myfolder"

On my machine , and a MacBook of mine (bootcamp) it works fine, it writes the file. But when I give it to a mate to test, it doesn't write the file! What?!! This is really strange and I have been trying to fix this. Maybe it has to do with my adding of text in ruby but I have no idea. I should note my username is the same for both machines I used. I'm thinking its because somewhere it's not getting the right folder , then it wouldn't write anyway.

I think I will try to just link up strings and generate the folder name that way (with the sys folders prim)
Drnkhobo

Postby VPDannyMan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:27 am

Drnkhobo wrote:Thanks VPDannyMan,

I am going to do some tests with the two fish encryption ;)

I guess it's my only option because no data can be stored inside my plugin.

I'm struggling a bit with writing txt files to disk though. I use a system folders prim connected to a ruby module that adds text to its input. So I can output a specified folder inside a sys folder. Example, "Documents\Myfolder"

On my machine , and a MacBook of mine (bootcamp) it works fine, it writes the file. But when I give it to a mate to test, it doesn't write the file! What?!! This is really strange and I have been trying to fix this. Maybe it has to do with my adding of text in ruby but I have no idea. I should note my username is the same for both machines I used. I'm thinking its because somewhere it's not getting the right folder , then it wouldn't write anyway.

I think I will try to just link up strings and generate the folder name that way (with the sys folders prim)

No its a security setting. If they are set to high, your file will not be created and you will get no warning. At least in SM you would get no warning...
VPDannyMan

Return to General