Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Midi & VST & VSTParameters

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Midi & VST & VSTParameters

Postby matti » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:38 pm

support wrote:Do you have a schematic you can email to us that shows the high cpu load you're experiencing?

If you could send us something that would be great.

Many thanks!

Yeah sure :)
Here they are:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/880206/ipmidi.zip
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/880206/knobmidi.zip
I also emailed you the links. There's the schematics inside + vsti plugins and an exe + reaper project files to demo the effect.

Two cases:
1. IpMidi: Sending incoming midi as text over lan(client vsti) and receiving it to a standalone that outputs it to a midi port(server exe) - the broken thing in this scenario is the midi-input of the plugin. It's raising cpu usage by huge amounts, and less but still too much if there's nothing connected to the midi-event splitter primitive.

2. KnobMidi: Sending a knobs value as midi to a midi-port. Basic CC message. This sucks the hell out of a 3ghz quad cpu with just one CC message stream.

As i was making those examples i also made a shocking discovery! The slowdowns are more aggressive with USB-midi ports! Class compliant drivers might be more prone to this.. Can't say for sure as an E-MU port is having quite a big cpu usage too, with its own driver, whereas M-Audio port doesn't.. and pci based ones have lower, but still not normal, cpu usages.
Didn't see that coming, but it kind of makes sense. Slower port and bad driver + FS oddity = very bad performance.

Let me know if you can duplicate the problem.. or better yet find possible solutions for me to test out :)
matti

Previous

Return to General