Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

support - FFT analyzer with resolution 65k pts and higher

For general discussion related FlowStone

support - FFT analyzer with resolution 65k pts and higher

Postby tester » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Hey support - could you make for the "examples" section a real-time FFT frequency analyzer with resolutions of 65536 pts and higher?
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Re: support - FFT analyzer with resolution 65k pts and highe

Postby tester » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Dear support - just reminding that this topic is crucial, not only for audio, but for general signal processing, and it's still missing ;-)

There either are no cues whether it's possible to do this in FS (performance related of course), that wy i ask.
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby steph_tsf » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm not appointed by Flowstone. Could you please describe your special FFT requirements? I went reading a few posts from you on the Flowstone forum, including that particular one about the first FFT bin actually representing the DC component. Are you fluent with FFT, now?

A very good source about FFT is "The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing" by Steven W. Smith. You can access the book online freely at http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm

In March 2008, I tried implementing a dual-channel FFT Analyzer using Synthmaker.
This was in the context of making a Synthmaker-based Lipshitz-Vanderkooy loudspeaker crossover, the subtractive one that's relying on a delay line matching the lowpass group delay.
http://synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5450
Thanks to Synthmaker, I managed to do the Lipshitz-Vanderkooy loudspeaker crossover in a matter of minutes.
Unfortunately, as there is no bridge between the Windows audio mixer and the Synthmaker audio input (being ASIO or DSound), such loudspeaker crossover is not for unexperieced users. One need to fiddle with VAC (Virtual Audio cable for persuading ASIO reading the Windows audio mixer), and ASIO4ALL (for converting the ubiquitous HD Audio soundcard into an 6-chan ASIO output).

For the dual-channel FFT analyzer, I based on the Sambean Analysis Kit dating back from May 2006.
http://synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2409
Unfortunately, the frequency axis was LIN, and I needed LOG.
Unfortuately, the FFT was single-channel, and I needed dual-channel for plotting the FFT as a ratio, as a transfer function.
On top of this I needed a guaranteed synch between the channels, at the audio data grabber stage.
There were difficulties caused by the absence of a "guaranteed synched" dual audio channel grabber, and the absence of a "Float by Float Division". It was quite a deception for me, to see Synthmaker needing a complicated signal schema for something as trivial as a dual-channel FFT analyzer. The deception went deeper, when realizing that plotting the graph on screen with a LOG frequency scale, was far from trivial. I received valuable hints and examples from MyCo and Alisant. Alisant provided the solution for an effective LOG frequency representation. However, I went discouraged. I went discouraged because I feared that anybody fluent with signal analysis, anybody willing to audit the program code, would have rejected Flowstone as trustable platform, looking the kind of complicated gestures you - as software programmer - need to exercise, for getting dots and lines on the PC screen, that are actually related to the audio signal.

In Feb 2011, when Dozius Analysis Kit went published on Synthmaker forum, I missed it.
http://synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10208
Can somebody tell us if Dosius is active on Flowstone?
Would be great to have the Dosius Analysis Kit, revamped using Ruby.
Dozius Analysis kit is not a dual-channel FFT analyzer (it implicitely relies on a Dirac pulse as reference signal), and there are no dB nor Hz scales showing on the graph.
Despite this, Dozius Analysis kit is a great tool for quickly and effectively checking filters.

Today in June 2013, I'm running Flowstone as registered, paying user.
http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1487
You'll find a realtime FFT analyzer over there with triangular windowing and LOG frequency scale, graphing the frequency response of a FIR.
I still feel uncomfortable with the graph part, which is coming from the Synthmaker era, missing the dB labels on the vertical axis.
A possibiity is to rely on the Admin Oscilloscope, which is incorporating Ruby.
http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1136&p=3442

By the way, from a Scientist and Engineer's point of view, there are a few ideas coming into my mind.
Currently, the Flowstone FFT module is outputting the frequency domain data in polar coordinates (magnitude, phase). I fear that for long FFTs (say 256 samples, and beyond) there will be a severe performance penalty in converting the FFT output into (real, imag) coordinates using Ruby.
It could be more efficient, from a Scientist and Engineer's point of view, to have :
- the Flowstone FFT module renamed FFT_MP, outputting the frequency domain data in (magnitude, phase)
- a Flowstone FFT module named FFT_RI, outputting the frequency domain data in (real, imag)
- a Flowstone I2P (imaginary to polar) conversion module, running fast, able to run on the two Float arrays
- a Flowstone P2I (polar to imaginary) conversion module, running fast, able to run on the two Float arrays

Please tell me if this makes sense.
Last edited by steph_tsf on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steph_tsf

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi steph,

I haven't seen Dozius around these parts for a while but he is fairly prolific over on the FL studio forum, his last post there was 11th of April 2013.

http://forum.image-line.com/index.php

I think you need to create an account (if you don't have one already) to post there, if i remember correctly!

Hope that helps
Jay

Return to General