Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Patch randomizer?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Patch randomizer?

Postby tulamide » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:57 pm

RJHollins wrote:Great insights Tulamide ... thanks for sharing/explaining 8-)

You're welcome!

Spogg wrote:The seed number consists of 2 component parts, each having a range of 0 to 32767. These 2 parts each control different aspects of the synth to give over a billion combinations.

Not that it matters much, but I want to correct you. The amount of possible presets is named specifically as 4,294,967,296. That's not by coincidence. This number is 2^32 and represents the amount of seeds you get from a 32-bit integer number. 32768 is 2^15, but there is no number format using 15 bits. So, for a two component approach the range is 2 times 2^16 (16-bit numbers exist, they are called 'word')

A 16-bit number has one of two formats
no sign: all bits are interpreted as positive values. range then is 0-65535
sign: first bit represents sign, 15 bits represent absolute value. range then is -32768 - 32767

My guess is that you confused the seed (preset number) for presets with the two seeds for the weighting of the harmonic spectra in Ogun?
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:50 am

tulamide wrote:...
My guess is that you confused the seed (preset number) for presets with the two seeds for the weighting of the harmonic spectra in Ogun?

Seems I did! :oops:
Spogg

Postby k brown » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:19 am

So, anyone have any idea how the one in Oatmeal works?
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby tulamide » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:29 pm

k brown wrote:So, anyone have any idea how the one in Oatmeal works?

We haven't programmed it, nor has the programmer revealed it. i can only say, that any randomizer that yields fantastic results is procedural generation, see above in this thread.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:03 am

I’d love to know!
In fact I often wonder about what algorithms are used for stuff I see. For example, how does Ogun control so many partials with envelopes without exploding?

I would say it’s useful to ponder such things because it could lead to new ideas and insights, but unless the developers release the information, and accurately, we can never be sure.

Conversely, I often read heavy duty papers going into great mathematical depth about simulating some instrument or other, and I find myself asking “Ok, so where’s your synth?”.
Spogg

Postby josevo » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:11 pm

Did you try mixing two randomly selected presets from existing or hidden bank?
josevo

Postby R&R » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:27 pm

josevo wrote:Did you try mixing two randomly selected presets from existing or hidden bank?

Isn't a bad idea... Won't yield as good results as any procedural method but it's straightforward.
Kinda sounds like something I would try out.
Seems messy though, recalling two random presets sequentially and temporarily storing their values for mixing and finally setting for all knob params... since multiple preset managers are unlikely to work...
R&R

Postby Spogg » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:50 am

Yeah you can’t have 2 preset managers in a synth because the DAW wouldn’t know how to deal with that setup. Plus, we don’t have any access to the “P” data type.

You would maybe have to have parameters which are stored in one of two banks, so you load a preset, click a button to send the data to bank 1, then load another preset and click a button to send the data to bank 2. You could then have a cross-fade for the two banks so each individual parameter was a blend/morph of two parameters. The output of each blend would then be sent to the appropriate knob to set an actual 0-1 value. Maybe that process could be optionally automated, to choose 2 presets at random.
That might work, but what about selectors and on/off buttons? All selectors would have to be linear multiple crossfade types, rather than actual hard selections.

Then you’d have a problem with automation, because there would be no access to the actual knobs for the DAW. Maybe that could be solved by choosing one of the two presets to be optionally fixed to one of the parameter banks. So after loading the 2 banks you turn on an automation switch for whichever banks you want to automate.

All in all very messy, because FS was not built to do such a thing.
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:42 pm

Same person (Fuzzpilz; once called his 'company' Bicycles for Slugs) develped one of my all time fav effects for synths, Charsiesis: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/charsiesis-by-fuzzpilz

Same hideous GUI as the default one for Oatmeal.

If you haven't heard it, you must!
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Previous

Return to General