Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

MV stalking

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: MV stalking

Postby R&R » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:39 pm

That's a really nice attempt Tepeix it's almost the same shape as the original split... Is it a translation of the prims or did you manage to crunch more using less?
It's hard for me to gauge the cost of operations in the ASM... :?

Aliasing is still a remaining challenge if the shapes of the original module can even be achieved at a lower cpu cost... 8-)
R&R

Postby Tepeix » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:03 pm

Was not a translation, i was not really understanding the module.)
But the intuition come from some of my attempt to do non-linear or soft clip.
first i was separating the signal with positive and negative part, thinking that it will be more simple,
to do soft clipping or wave-shaping, but after time i find that it's generally more optimized and not
so hard to do the same not separating (but more in asm as it's fast and there's no prim to abs).
It help to reduce the number of operation.

So i go from the idea that there some equivalence.
But i was wrong in some way thinking it's only some multiply.. There's a add 1 somewhere before...

This one seams really equivalent. The +1 become -1 when the signal is negative with ""andp.sgn.orps"" (in asm)

But i also had to remap the input control with (x+(x*abs(x)))*0.5, don"t know why...
Attachments
Split exp optitry B.fsm
(44.21 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
Tepeix

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:52 pm

I think I finally got the gist of R&R's design, although I realize that Tepeix might have beat me to it. Anyway, here is my modded variant: about 4 times faster, somewhat less aliasing, however at the price of a slightly duller sound for shape parameters above 0.5. Let me know if I messed up something.
Attachments
Sine_&_Tri_shaping_MVed.fsm
(131.88 KiB) Downloaded 616 times
martinvicanek

Postby R&R » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:01 am

matrix.jpg
matrix.jpg (14.24 KiB) Viewed 19807 times

Crazy! can't believe you and Tepeix ended up with these so fast! 8-)

A glorious thank you to both!!!

It's a little bummer about the aliasing at HF but can't have it all I guess :P
I'll have to finetune that ducking to suit my preference... but I've done so in some of my other Osc modules already :D

martinvicanek wrote:although I realize that Tepeix might have beat me to it.

You tackled "adding the odds" module as well, and it can be pushed further in one direction than my original so... and 4x faster (straight out of the Aether) is no small gain either. That's half the victory won since i'm on a budget because of my :?: "feature creeping" synth... as Kevin or perhaps Spogg would write :lol:

My plugin is horrible to work with (no not because of all spaghetti ;) :D but the size!). So it's gonna take a while before I throw these in, since i'm modifying other aspects of the plugin also right now.

I'm going to look at these modules closer and test the performace later. You and Tepeix took a different approach which is nice...
I highly suspect Tepeix version works well inside my LFO, because there I only need the Split Exp functionality... and MV's version for the Aux Oscillator.
R&R

Postby R&R » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:05 pm

8-)
This will be a DAMN NICE update (subjective for me atleast as newbie :lol: ) when I eventually finish it, since it adds some more possibilities for variation...

v0.46_aux.jpg
v0.46_aux.jpg (33.48 KiB) Viewed 19794 times
Knobs already in place from previous version... ;) for the knobs needed for your ASM:ed Split Exp and Mix-in Odds modules.

v0.46_vari.jpg
v0.46_vari.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 19794 times
Slice and Frag modulatable, now with Vari modes. Either retains/adds some sizzle at high reso or makes a trash:ier sound... Fit perfects for the plugin since it's a techno synth.

Also thinking of making a Random mod section for Note pitch, Amp, S1, S2 and Slice/Frag. Based of Adams random ASM snippet that I think Spogg shared here somewhere.

Might take look at my Envelopes eventually. Have some idea that I'll lock MV's exponential AHDSR to a ADSR. Gonna take a look at the ASM maybe I can alter it for linear on my own, as I need both (linear and exp).
R&R

Postby Tepeix » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:19 pm

Well, not really beat :oops: .. Only focus on one module, free time to spend, also the modules end up differently,
mine doesn't avoid aliasing, and take more cpu, but interesting to see different approach as said ;)
Tepeix

Postby R&R » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:05 am

:)
Have played around a little bit now with these modules of yours...

Tepeix version will definately go into the LFO since it can flatten out exactly like my original... and that shape
makes for quite a good LFO wave 8-)

Haa! :D
Moreover, the math in MV's version had a bonus up it's sleeve... that made it a "two for one".
Seems i'll get yet another oscillator style from the same modules. Interesting! :P
R&R

Postby R&R » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:35 pm

:D
Almost, but not quite the Split Exp...

Became so curious "I just had to try" when I found this module that MV made for the PWM SineGenerator

:lol:
Doesn't output the correct way like MV's and Tepeix Split Exp modules do. But was a fun test...
Attachments
Sine_&_Tri_shaping_Light.fsm
(126.85 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
R&R

Previous

Return to General