Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

ShellExecute Module - xcopy

For general discussion related FlowStone

ShellExecute Module - xcopy

Postby chackl » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Hello!!!

I have an shell execute that starts up CMD with argument "/c xcopy ....."

BUT xcopy does never work (win7 & 8 - on XP it works quite fine) - eaven if i create a bat file and do the xcopy there and execute the bat file.
if i run the bat manualy by explorer or call xcopy by CMD it will copy my files - in FlowStone not.

Is there any workaround for that?

Regards
100% accuracy is the guarantee to your success. The value alters if you combine it with musical creativity.
chackl

Re: ShellExecute Module - xcopy

Postby trogluddite » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 pm

If its win7/8 only, then it will almost certainly be related to file permissions and Windows UAC (user account control).
When you run a script from a command prompt (presumably as Administrator), the batch file's permissions get elevated, such that it is allowed to do things that wouldn't be allowed when called from a script.
I had similar problems myself with some stand--alone Ruby stuff I was doing a while back - at home, on XP, the file changes worked fine, but no good on the win7 machines at work. In the end I had to get the Admin's to mess about manually changing loads of folder permissions to do what I wanted - but I would think it should be easier to fix if it is your home PC that your are 'admin' of.
Have you tried xcopy without the /c option? - IIRC that switch will suppress errors, so it may be worth turning it off to see what (if any) errors are getting generated. I find win7 in general bad for this - many times it seems to treat access problems 'silently', so you think it has performed an operation when in fact it hasn't. It will also sometimes copy files to a separate 'quarantine' area without telling you - you may see this as a "compatibility files" option in the destination folder; sometimes the stuff you moved can be found in there.
Sadly, I don't have the experience to offer you a definite fix, but here's one of the better forum threads I found on the subject - maybe it will lead you to the solution you need.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby chackl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:59 am

the /c option is for CMD that it is expecting any command line - so this is needed ;)

I solfed the problem now, i did a WINRAR SFX and startet it slient with those parameters:
Path execute: ...\anyrarsfx.exe
Arguments: -s -d"path_to_extract"

Regards
100% accuracy is the guarantee to your success. The value alters if you combine it with musical creativity.
chackl

Postby Morph » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 am

Use robocopy. Works fine on win7/8.
Morph

Postby chackl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 pm

how do i call this correct?
chackl

Postby Morph » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Morph

Postby trogluddite » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:38 pm

chackl wrote:I solfed the problem now, i did a WINRAR SFX and startet it slient with those parameters:

Looks interesting, I never tried that part pf winrar before - thanks for posting your results.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
trogluddite

Postby chackl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:57 pm

maybe we should do an install System for Flowstone Projects.
Any one that got interests on that?

Regards
chackl

Postby trogluddite » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 pm

chackl wrote:maybe we should do an install System for Flowstone Projects.
Any one that got interests on that?

Yes, I'm certainly interested.
I have been getting into using some home-made Ruby classes etc. - at the moment I'm putting them into Ruby boxes in the schematic, but that's troublesome because you don't always know what order the code will be parsed - and it clutters the place up!
It would be more natural to keep them as external library files and "require" them at the point they are needed - that's the way that Ruby normally deals with them, and would be essential for anyone using their own .dll's etc.
So a way to package an export along with the "support" files would be very useful - for packaging wave files, GUI skins etc. too.
I think it also gives end users a little more confidence when they see it done this way - somehow, expecting downloaders to do a load of file copying always seems a bit amateurish to me. OK it's not really hard work, but it isn't what people expect in this day and age - and I've seen plenty enough forum posts around the web about mis-installed plugins to know that people mess it up no matter how easy you make it.

Do you know what other (cheap!) options there are besides the WinRar thing? I had a look once before, but I don't know the subject well enough to tell what is best from the spec's, and I.got bored of reading nerd flame wars between people promoting different app's!
trogluddite

Postby chackl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Well i do not know a better SFX System then winrar.

What i thought about is:
Packing all Data that is needed to the flowstone app.

So what is needed ist a methoe to open files binary with ruby and save them to an Integer Array that saves the data.
Or:
Open files binary and add all files to a .bin file in the installsystem.

So when the user starts the installe he is able to select all paths (next Thing is that flowstone has no "Folder select Dialog") and the installer saves the data to the selected VSTi path(s) and writes the data to "program files" and "appdata" and "documents"
So the installer opens the bin file (ore uses internal int-arrays) and a ruby module writes the data binary to the selected Folders.

So if you do that it would be also posible to get the "state" of the copy process.

Would this be an idea?

Regards
chackl

Next

Return to General