Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The aliasing of Lord Cthulhu

For general discussion related FlowStone

The aliasing of Lord Cthulhu

Postby R&R » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:11 pm

Playing around. The only thing I know :) Thinking out loud...

Trying to further get the aliasing demons of the toolbox dist under control (poly/asm version... Cheapest dist "there is" on the CPU?).
Currently using MV's 4x oversample for the dist itself, and a cascade of his 1-pole static filters (pre-dist LP's at 8000Hz).

Still have alot of crap below the fundamental :roll: I think Spogg mentioned these types of artifacts (if I remember in regards to wavefolding and referencing Adams wisdom).

So i'm reluctantly experimenting with adding tracking HP filters post-dist to eliminate the worst aliasing artifacts.
Has to be a custom dynamic output for each of my Osc Modules then....

Looked around a bit... couldn't find anything that looks more efficient and is completely in poly than MV's ZDFs?

Atleast I can scrap current main DC block since i'm now probably adding a blue HP anyway.
But dual ZDFs in poly will have to be added for my other dist routings :? Even more stress on CPU :)

All very confusing. This has to be done using FS4 prims as well, like I've already done for modulating my free LFO's.
R&R

Re: The aliasing of Lord Cthulhu

Postby Tepeix » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:04 am

Maybe it's not aliasing but intermodulation. When doing non linear process you get also those, even in analog.
A way to see if it's this, is to play only one frequency or note. intermodulation won't appear in this case.
When they are two or more note in a non linear process, it's like a ring modulator between those.
Generally an hp filter is used to tame those.
If they are too loud we could get less harmonic sound that are irritating.
But having a little as almost audible could give a sound more bass.
Tepeix

Re: The aliasing of Lord Cthulhu

Postby R&R » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:48 pm

Tepeix wrote:When they are two or more note in a non linear process, it's like a ring modulator between those.
Generally an hp filter is used to tame those.
If they are too loud we could get less harmonic sound that are irritating.
But having a little as almost audible could give a sound more bass.

I encountered that exact problem adding HP filter to atleast one of the Osc Modules output (pre filtering so as to not pass more that needed aliasing onto filter feedback or dist). These (or that) Osc Module uses ring modulation of osc's of which is then used for phase-modulation...
Just ended up removing all LF content when trying to reduce actual aliasing. Might have to allow for more aliasing than I would like in those cases... Haven't decided yet :)
R&R

Return to General