Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

INPUT Box [now to use RUBY]

For general discussion related FlowStone

INPUT Box [now to use RUBY]

Postby RJHollins » Fri May 10, 2013 12:34 am

Hello GANG!

Have recently made the transition form SM to FS. In the process, I've been able to improve my first project with the addition of RUBY's flexibility.

There is a MAJOR routine that I've been trying to convert that has me perplexed.

History ... I was fortunate to have 'TROG' make modifications/rewrite of a 'dual input' edit box routine. The initial 'design' needed a double mouse click to activate the edit box. The 'dual' inputs stem from data that can come in from disk that pre-loads the Edit Box. This box can also handle User input data. [this is a rather straightforward need in an app].
Dual Input EDIT box capture.jpg
Dual Input EDIT box capture.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 18423 times

Now enter FS with RUBY.

Now I would like to find a better solution with FS {Ruby].

The 'design' idea has changed somewhat ... the double click to edit is something that I've reconsidered. It now seems just a single click would be more user friendly.

In the enclosed schematic I've included the TROG MOD'd [SM] version, along with my attemps in FS. Because this User data gets placed within the GUI of the app ... I need to apply restrictions to the entered data ... some are to maintain the GUI appearance, and others are to provide additional user friendlyness :)

My call out to the GURU's ... this is such a fundamental requirement for all different kinds of apps. I've been all through the forums researching a solution, but have come up short.

Any help getting this realized would be most appreciated. I'm sattemptsurfriendlinesse many others would find this useful.

Thanks for helping out the rookies ! :)
Attachments
Dual source editable input box [with Text Size]- [TROG]-2.fsm
(9.61 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times
RJHollins

Re: INPUT Box [now to use RUBY]

Postby RJHollins » Sat May 11, 2013 1:14 am

Boy this is tricky ...

With a single click in the edit box, I'm able to edit the entry data ... but the 'text' is disappearing until I hit return :?

If I lift the returning feed line [that supplies the TRIM function], the editing display is fine. [but obviously the trimming is skipped].
RJHollins

Postby Drnkhobo » Sat May 11, 2013 11:24 am

Ive been battling the same thing here! :lol:

Is it not something to do with the redrawing of the view while editing takes place?
Drnkhobo

Postby Drnkhobo » Sat May 11, 2013 11:27 am

Here is the one I use . . .

Text Box.fsm
(982 Bytes) Downloaded 995 times

Maybe it helps ;)
Drnkhobo

Postby tester » Sat May 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Editboxes have that "disappearing text" issue since Flowstone I guess. I have similar problem (when editing - no text visible) with few other (somewhat looped) setups. It's issue of "edit control" primitive, that is used in editboxes. It worked correctly in Synthmaker.
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby RJHollins » Sat May 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Drnkhobo wrote:Here is the one I use . . .

Text Box.fsm

Maybe it helps ;)

This is the same module that I have posted in my first post.

By itself, clicking and entering data seems to work fine ... the text is visible the whole time. The problem shows up when looping back into the module ... text disappears until you hit [ENTER] or leave box. :roll:

But there are other issues with this ... at least with my minimal experience with RUBY.

It seems the design of this 'Edit Box' works on a different concept than I was expecting. There seems no true text variable in this RUBY code, or at least one that can be 'internally' controlled. I was looking at how to add 'string formatting' option [left, center, right], along with additional controls.

I really need a user input text box that can be programed to be, what's called, 'user friendly'.

That said ... I'm left questioning if my approach of 'dual input' is even a correct way to do things :shock: :roll:

I have lots of edit boxes that data is entered into, this gets Save to disk as a separate 'configuration' file. The user needs to be able to modify these entries AND these boxes must handle data be loaded back in from disk.

I complain again ... this seems such a vital function in so many programming scenarios ...
I'm struggling trying to do this in RUBY.
Really need a GURU to step in !

Thanks!
RJHollins

Postby tester » Sat May 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Send e-mail to support. If more people report the same issue in various circumstances, then they should do something with that.
tester

Postby RJHollins » Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 pm

tester wrote:Send e-mail to support. If more people report the same issue in various circumstances, then they should do something with that.

Hi tester,

I could be wrong, but the issue seems more a coding solution rather than any type of bug.

Compound that with my brief exposure with RUBY.

I've been following the links to many of the Ruby documentation sites that have been recently posted here ... some good info, but things like this 'edit box' just don't seem to make the example page :(

The stock 'LABEL' module has some clues that I'm looking at. I'm comparing it to the 'edit box' to try and understand the way these 2 modules function.

If the 'edit box' and the 'Label' module could be functionally combined, I think we'd have something of a start.
RJHollins

Postby tester » Sat May 11, 2013 9:57 pm

RJHollins - check this one:
http://synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 734#p90734
works fine in synthmaker, has issue in flowstone.

I also have a small pugin, that uses editbox over redrawed area (or it's because it is connected to flow of triggers?), and it behaves in the same way - in edit mode - text is editable but not visible.
tester

Postby Nubeat7 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:00 pm

i dont understand the issue here - the text is disapearing while editing when u feed it back into the edit box at the same time? seems to be logical that it disappears because it is a feedback loop it updates itself while you are edit it - isnt this the reason why there is an "is editing" bool at the output which you can use to break the feedbackloop while editing?
Nubeat7

Next

Return to General