Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Knob Wizard; Do You want it?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Knob Wizard; Do You want it?

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:10 pm

If You'd read the posts (on this forum) more recently than you would've seen there's a few wine users who tested Flowstone plugins. And the syntheway plugins seem to be working ok so, maybe. The poster had said there'd been some GPU glitches.

But, I was thinking if used in wine to be honest. Wine seems pretty popular; And it seems like if its installation experience is a bit more streamlined then that following might even double.

But, this is really neither here nor there. mac is "maybe" an option but bottom line is if image driven knobs are more stable "in Windows" or not. I see a great strength if a plugin can process music without even generating the images required in the code. If the code lies dormant and then creates the images only if opened it saves a great deal of CPU.

I think of it this way: On the plugin window opening it would create the image, that means for the entire session it would be loaded even if the window was closed. But the next time You load the same project the image would need to be reloaded again. It seemed surprising that by making a knob with only Ruby and primitives I was challenging My CPU (and GPU). So, it might be that this is a good, streamlined route.

My new Hydra is well beyond expectations and it doesn't ess due to a linear high and low pass implemented. I modded some MV high and low passes to achieve that. But it's a bit heavy GPU wise. Commercial quality sound is very easy with Hydra - I use it by itself now. Sometimes I pair it with Mini Boom switch. Maybe I'll add a few decibels in the volume though.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby tulamide » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:21 pm

wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:I see a great strength if a plugin can process music without even generating the images required in the code. If the code lies dormant and then creates the images only if opened it saves a great deal of CPU.

This would be redundant as Flowstone was designed from the ground up to give audio priority at all times. Only if there's CPU time left graphics will be dealt with. The same is true for Ruby. Audio (blue and white section) always comes first.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby ChrisHooker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 am

tulamide wrote:This would be redundant as Flowstone was designed from the ground up to give audio priority at all times. Only if there's CPU time left graphics will be dealt with. The same is true for Ruby. Audio (blue and white section) always comes first.

wlangfor - We've told you this before in another thread, and I described a way for you to see for yourself. Did you not follow through with that? http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13809&start=30#p46526

Not only this, but if the knobs are not in motion, they should not effect the CPU at all. They will eat MEMORY to load/hold the image... but if you're proposing that your idea of knob generation would create its own "screenshots" and strip compiling, then that would actually require on-the-fly processing, which WOULD eat CPU... and STILL be creating images to hold in memory anyway. It completely defeats the purpose. :roll:
ChrisHooker

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:09 pm

I think it will load faster and process audio, it probably will. The question is would others like this fun and neat knob maker?
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby adamszabo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 pm

wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:I think it will load faster and process audio, it probably will.

I think I will live forever, so I probably will :lol:
adamszabo

Postby ChrisHooker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:24 am

wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:I think it will [1:] load faster and [2:] process audio, it probably will.

1:
It may load a FRACTION of a millisecond faster due to not having an entire strip to load at startup, but like I said, writing images to disk during operation is actually MORE demanding of the computer when it counts - during audio runtime.

2:
Using live-generated vector graphics via prims vs using loaded image files will NOT process audio any differently. We keep trying to explain to you that graphics and audio processing are independent processes, with audio ALWAYS taking priority, and graphics updated IF/WHEN there's CPU available, and even then, based off a separate timing system. Why is it that you refuse to believe this? It's how this program was designed. Either post a schematic that proves us wrong, or PLEASE stop making the assumption.
ChrisHooker

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Yeah, You're right about that fraction. But to be honest, for Me it's when the GUI isn't loaded that I find alluring. But, there is also the realization that the outputted images have a crispness that I like. The colours are very striking.

I find that to be a plus side. And You know, I hadn't really thought of load time so much as much as crashes. My old computer is a good one, but FL Studio crashes on Me quite often. It's why I've had to stay with 32 bit because it's so much more stable. I can't say that My experience with 64 bit plugins has ever been that pleasant either TBH.

There was one though, AXP flextron 64, that wasn't too bad. I like the spring reverb on that one. I've had a few things that I've needed to attend to but I'll get to this.

BTW for people wanting to make imageless knobs (Having a re-usable function so-to-speak) they can add the universal pieces like as if in a programming language by doing this:
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Previous

Return to General