Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Plugin ID# VST & VSTi

For general discussion related FlowStone

Plugin ID# VST & VSTi

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Something I've not been able to determine from manual or forum ...

An interesting situation has come up, whereby my 1st project was exported as a VST. Due to my working with REAPER, this was never an issue. However, it is in other DAWs [apparently]. To do the required 'routing', I need to issue the plugin as a VSTi. [I understand the practical function difference between VST and VSTi ... but not the special internal difference] :?

The question has to do with the plugin ID#.

Do we [or should we] give a VSTi edition a different ID# from the VST version ???

I don't fully understand the ID# implications. Would very much appreciate some insights.

Thanks!
RJHollins

Re: Plugin ID# VST & VSTi

Postby tester » Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 pm

If you create 1 app as VST effect and 1 as VSTi instrument, then you are creating two separate plugins. Two different files with two different names. Thus - I would just give unique IDs. ID rather not interferes with type ("Hi, I'm John Smith" - two parts).

Reaper is pretty smart when dealing with plugins. While some/many hosts differenciate between VST and VSTi routings, reaper just loads whatever you give it - into one slot.
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby trogluddite » Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Yes, a unique ID for each plugin is a very good idea - some hosts do not use the file name for identifying the plugin, only the ID. Some hosts will have a problem if they see two plugin with the same ID, and there is no consistent behaviour to predict what they will do if there is a clash.
There's a handy little free tool I've used in the past called VSTspy to find out some info about plugin IDs etc. - it's rather old now, so I'm not sure how well it might work with newer 64bit plugins etc., but I've found it useful occasionally for diagnosing weird plugin loading problems.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby RJHollins » Fri May 24, 2013 7:36 am

Thank-you Gentlemen,

This all makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for helping me get a better understanding!
8-)
RJHollins

Return to General