Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

VST - Max GUI Size ???

For general discussion related FlowStone

VST - Max GUI Size ???

Postby RJHollins » Tue May 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Live and learn may be applicable here. :roll:

I'm finding the help of beta-testers to be invaluable, as I've recently been made aware, that REAPER's ability to scroll the viewing of a VST plugin is rather unique.

It appears that other DAW's do not seem to have this same ability. I'm finding that my large GUI is being cut off at the bottom, preventing access to those functions :o

This means I have to consider re-orientating the layout horizontally ... or shrinking the components to a tighter display. :cry:

Searching for VST specs, was hoping to see something that addressed the MAX GUI size.

I realize that screen display resolutions are all over the map. Nonetheless, I still need to land on a 'one size fits all' attempt. :lol:

Does anyone know what the 'accepted' MAX GUI size one should aim for ? Particularly in the 'vertical' height.

I realize that this is a real balancing act, to have the display readable ... yet fit on the screen properly.

Maybe someone has some guiding tips on this, rookie oversight :?

Thanks.
:oops:
RJHollins

Re: VST - Max GUI Size ???

Postby philter5 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:29 pm

one thing i do is compile the VST/VSTi in different screen sizes, e.g. 800x600,1024x768,1280x1024 , or at least at a size that perfectly fits for a special screen resolution. but thats just a workaround.

would be nice to have resizable
GUI window (i think it is possible since VST spec version 2.4, as long as i know FS/SM uses version 2.4 but dynamic GUI sizes feature is not supported by SM/FS).

BTW: VSThost uses scrollable GUI´s too, thats one of my favourite features
philter5

Postby RJHollins » Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 pm

philter5 wrote:one thing i do is compile the VST/VSTi in different screen sizes, e.g. 800x600,1024x768,1280x1024 , or at least at a size that perfectly fits for a special screen resolution. but thats just a workaround.

would be nice to have re-sizable
GUI window (i think it is possible with VST spec version 3, as long as i know FS/SM uses version 2.4).

BTW: VSThost uses scrollable GUI´s too, thats one of my favorite features

Hi philter5,

Good to see you Sir! :)

My displays are at 1024x768. You're right about VST3 being user adjustable, but FS uses v2.4 .

Funny you mention VSTHost ... that is my Dev 'test bed'. I use LoopBe1 [virtual MIDI driver] from FS into Host to test and verify. I just now being made aware that other DAW's have restrictions.

I recall mention with SM that the outputted GUI size can be modified via the 'Zoom' slider before export. I don't know if this is the same with FS. I tried it once in SM, but the quality of the graphics doing the 'resize' that way was not acceptable. :roll:

You mention 'builds' for different resolutions ... does this mean you are designing all the knobs, buttons, and other graphics separately for each?

Thanks!
RJHollins

Postby tester » Wed May 29, 2013 12:24 am

Best way is to make small plugin windows with organized tabs (according to parameter type and priority of use?).
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby philter5 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:38 am

RJHollins wrote:
philter5 wrote:one thing i do is compile the VST/VSTi in different screen sizes, e.g. 800x600,1024x768,1280x1024 , or at least at a size that perfectly fits for a special screen resolution. but thats just a workaround.

would be nice to have re-sizable
GUI window (i think it is possible with VST spec version 3, as long as i know FS/SM uses version 2.4).

BTW: VSThost uses scrollable GUI´s too, thats one of my favorite features

Hi philter5,

Good to see you Sir! :)

My displays are at 1024x768. You're right about VST3 being user adjustable, but FS uses v2.4 .

nice to see you too RJ!
seems like GUI size is allready adjustable since VST version 2.4 - but FS and SM don´t support it yet

RJHollins wrote:You mention 'builds' for different resolutions ... does this mean you are designing all the knobs, buttons, and other graphics separately for each?

Thanks!

oh i don´t do that with all plugins, that would be a lot of work. just when i absolutely need different sizes, then i´ll work with vector knobs and switches, or i use sunsynths "knob zoom" schematic from the SM forum to do the job
philter5

Postby tester » Wed May 29, 2013 12:46 am

But there is one nasty limitation. When you export exe, then it can't be sized/zoomed greater than the screen size. Windows cuts everything larger (scrollbars would be appreciated?) to fit the screen.
tester

Postby RJHollins » Wed May 29, 2013 1:07 am

tester wrote:Best way is to make small plugin windows with organized tabs (according to parameter type and priority of use?).

I understand what you are saying 'tester' !

That is a concept that I need to develop and understand much better for sure.

What I have are multiple EQ modules that EACH have specific, selectable Frequencies, some have different GAIN ranges, and Bandwidth [Q]. Each module is assigned a transmitting MIDI Channel, and can send ProgramChange commands to the 'connected' commercial VST.

My first concept idea was: Can I 'flip a GUI switch', and change out [replace] one module layout to another.

I was thinking along the lines of 're-using' much of the graphics, and instead, thinking if I could [flip] switch to an alternate set of parameters that I have [in arrays], and have the GUI use this switched 'data'. This would also involve things like the 'steps' I have for the Knobs.

The overall concept was to have a module that can be completely reconfigured [internally]. In the long term, I would even consider that all this 'setup' data could be put into a type of User Configuration section. This would then allow the User to customize this Virtual Controller ... kind of like a Universal Control surface.

Well ... that is a possible goal I've tried to be aware of as I further develop this VST/VSTi. Which is ANOTHER issue that I'm learning about. Currently I have a 'Poll' asking for the preferred format for ones' DAW. The VST format is slightly leading in the poll, but not by much :roll: Waiting till they find out that the 'Stand alone' app also works! This could get real crazy supplying all the formats :shock:

Basically, the version 1 design is doing most everything I had hoped, and the 'core' functioning is fairly easy to customize ... but I'm sure it could be even better. At this moment, I need to see if this app is wanted by enough to make a push for v2. This all started to help me do my Mastering work with less distraction and better work flow. Making this 'friendly' and compatible for everyone else has more than doubled the Dev time. Because of that, it is even a better program, and I've had a chance to implement a more sophisticated design and programming techniques ... in LARGE part from the gracious help, guidance, and examples from fellow SM/FS'ers :D

Thanks Everybody !! 8-)
RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Wed May 29, 2013 1:08 am

mmmm ... sunsynths "knob zoom" ... this sounds TOO interesting.
Got to look that one up ... never seen it
RJHollins

Postby tester » Wed May 29, 2013 1:09 am

Well - good luck then! ;-)
Ooops, 2 a.m., time to take some rest.
tester

Return to General