Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Save as -> Improper Argument (Bug?)

For general discussion related FlowStone

Save as -> Improper Argument (Bug?)

Postby trogluddite » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:57 am

I've just been setting up FlowStone on my new(ish) laptop, and I've discovered a strange problem. I thought I'd ask here first before filing a bug report in case it's something that's known (I found one mention when I searched, but it was a stub.)

If I try to save a file with a new name by selecting "Save As...", I simply get an error popup telling me; "Encountered an Improper Argument". If I dismiss the popup, I can carry on as usual without there seeming to be any ill effects, and the contents of the schematic don't seem to make any difference. "Save" works fine to save the file with the same name, and all file loading dialogues work as they should. Turning off auto-recovery makes no difference, nor does the file location of the current schematic.

I'm using FS v3.8.0.1 Skylark, which is what I'd been using before with no problem (Windows XP on an ancient Quadcore PC), and I'm installing on a Windows 10 machine (Off the shelf Intel i5 laptop. Dual boot with Ubuntu Linux.) Running FS in Windows' legacy compatibility modes makes no difference.

Stupidly, I hadn't tried any of this before copying over my old toolbox and tinkering with a few old projects. Deleting my toolbox modules, or reinstalling FS haven't made any difference, though. The only thing left to try is an install following a registry clean out etc., which I'll have a go at when I next get the chance (I need a bit of a break from it right now, otherwise my landlady will start to wonder who I'm arguing with! :lol: )

Even if I get it sorted, it would be useful to know if there's something which causes this which I should avoid doing, or if it's a sign of other problems that I haven't noticed yet. It's not the end of the world, as the way that I manage files doesn't require it very much, and it can be worked around if I really need to. I'll keep you updated about anything I manage to sort out myself.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Re: Save as -> Improper Argument (Bug?)

Postby tulamide » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:11 am

You should just delete 3.0.8.1 and go back to 3.0.6! Not only is 3.0.8.1 a bug festival, there were also severe changes that affect the execution speed of both, Flowstone and Ruby. In you version, the Ruby timeout detection was moved to its own thread. Unfortunately, Ruby only runs in one main thread (timeout system in a subthread), so they share the
CPU time. In 3.0.6, Ruby is effectively double as fast (and due to less stress, Flowstone also runs smoother)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby trogluddite » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:50 am

Ah. many thanks tulamide! :D
Now that I've read your advice, I've found the threads mentioning the Ruby timeout threading etc.- eek, what a mess!

Thankfully, reading back through the Version History, I don't think it should be too big of a problem to roll back - I can't see anything that I'd miss from more recent versions; I'll just have to hope that any 3.0.6+ files will load up OK.

Love it! I go away for an extended sabbatical, come back to check for updates, and end up rolling back to an even earlier version! :lol:
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Spogg » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:04 am

I was on 3.08.1 for ages but tulamide convinced me to use 3.06 and I never looked back (who wants to be turned into a pillar of salt anyway?).
I’ve had no problems loading any of my 3.08.1 projects into 3.06 and I get much better stability. It also seems more responsive and snappy somehow.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby BobF » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi Gang,

I have been using 3.07 since I joined and have never had a problem, knock on wood, ha, ha!

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Postby jonayoung2003 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:25 am

Hi I'm new to flowstone and just downloaded the trial. But I'm having the same saving issue. Where would I download the 3.0.6 trial?
jonayoung2003

Return to General