Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

VST preset question

For general discussion related FlowStone

VST preset question

Postby Nickateenbeats » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Are .txt files the only file type VST's can read in Flowstone? It would be nice to be able to create our own file extension and still be able to load them into a VST made within Flowstone.

We can always use ruby to change the extension but will the vst open and play the presets?
Nickateenbeats

Re: VST preset question

Postby Spogg » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:00 am

You can specify whatever extension you want inside the Preset Manager. Where it says txt just change it to abc or whatever you like the look of.

Of course the contents of the preset files will still be identical.

In Reaper you can also export presets as fxp or fxb and supply these with your plugin. The only issue that arises then is if you change something later on in the schematic, in which case the fxp and fxb won’t work properly.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Nickateenbeats » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:47 am

Ahh that's good to know! That helped a lot considering i been wondering about this since i started using flowstone.
It's always the simple things lol

As far as reaper goes i haven't really looked into it, i seen a few post's about it but i guess i never really bothered to check it out. I will have a look and a read through of it since you mention we can use it with flowstone.

Thanks again!
Nickateenbeats

Postby Spogg » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 am

The impression I’ve got, over the four years plus I’ve been here, is that the DAWs of choice for us flowstoners is either FL Studio or Reaper. I await a response to that impression! :lol:

The big issue for me with FL Studio is that it can’t handle a VST effect with a MIDI input (like a vocoder with an embedded synth) or an instrument VSTi with an audio input (like my Quilcom ASS).

I’ve fooled around with all the major DAWs and Reaper is my choice for many reasons.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby adamszabo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:29 am

Spogg wrote:The big issue for me with FL Studio is that it can’t handle a VST effect with a MIDI input (like a vocoder with an embedded synth) or an instrument VSTi with an audio input (like my Quilcom ASS).

Actually it can ;) You just need to do some setting up
adamszabo

Postby Spogg » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:49 pm

adamszabo wrote:
Spogg wrote:The big issue for me with FL Studio is that it can’t handle a VST effect with a MIDI input (like a vocoder with an embedded synth) or an instrument VSTi with an audio input (like my Quilcom ASS).

Actually it can ;) You just need to do some setting up

Ooh! Please do tell.
I tried with the current FL Studio (demo) and got a message saying that I was trying to add an effect as an instrument or something like that. I only use Reaper so I gave up at that point. I've had a few FLS users tell me thay can't do it either...

So, if you can help, several users of FLS may benefit.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby adamszabo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Ah if you mean the second one, then yes, indeed it cannot load an instrument as an effect, but if you add a effect with midi input, like a vocoder, then its easy. Once you added the effect, you go into the wrapper settings set the midi input, then you add a midi out instruments and set the output to be the same. Then you can play the piano and the vocoder should get the midi
adamszabo

Postby Nickateenbeats » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:27 pm

Spogg when trying to add the effect into FL Studio, are you clicking on "CHANNELS"?

You have to add effects from the mixer...just click on the drop down arrow and click on "more".

Hope that helps.
Nickateenbeats

Postby adamszabo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:11 am

Spogg is talking about adding instrument vst into effect rack and that does not work
adamszabo

Postby Spogg » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:39 am

adamszabo wrote:Ah if you mean the second one, then yes, indeed it cannot load an instrument as an effect, but if you add a effect with midi input, like a vocoder, then its easy. Once you added the effect, you go into the wrapper settings set the midi input, then you add a midi out instruments and set the output to be the same. Then you can play the piano and the vocoder should get the midi

Thanks Adam

My current project is a string resonator to provide tuned reverb. Like if you shout into a piano with the damper (sustain) pedal pressed. A bit like Pianoverb or Sympathizer, but different of course.

So, I have stereo audio inputs for the signal and a MIDI input for an optional sustain pedal function. It’s working great (but not ready to share yet) but I would like to give out information as to how a FLS user could use it.

When I made a vocoder I went against the default option to export it as an instrument (due to it having a MIDI input) but I couldn’t get it working in Reaper. When I exported it as an effect (with MIDI) I was able to set the routing and it worked.

So, for FLS users, should I export as an instrument and do what you said? I don’t mind providing two different plugins, one for FLS and the other for other DAWs. I just need to know exactly what to do and what to advise FLS users.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Next

Return to General