Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Direct Sound not started

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Direct Sound not started

Postby Tronic » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:45 am

Realtek?
go to the playback sound properties
double click the speakers properties or any other output used as main
go to the Enhancements tab
un-check -> Disable all sound effect
check -> Immediate mode
go to Advanced tab
un-check -> Allow applications to take exclusive control.....

work?
Last edited by Tronic on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tronic

Postby tiffy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi Tronic, thanks for your support as well.

Okay, here goes... I followed your instructions to the letter, but still no luck there. :(

BUT here is the GOOD NEWS !! If you did not make mention of those settings, I would not have been motivated to do any further tampering so here is what I did next and I nearly fell out of my chair when it worked:

1) Open the Realtek HD Audio Manager

2) And on the Speakers Tab, look for a small yellow Folder Icon in the far right top corner and left click on it with the mouse

3) Another small Menu will then open up, called the Connector Settings

4) Then on the Connector Settings Menu I Disabled (unchecked) the "Front Panel Jack Detection"

AND IT WORKED!!!

But, I then went back there to the Connector Settings and strange enough - the check mark which I had just unchecked is checked again!! BUT IT STILL WORKS!!! :D

Again, thanks to all the people that assisted me, without your help and encouragement.. well, maybe I would never have located this tricky problem. This thing has been bothering me for months now.

Regards
tiffy

Postby Tronic » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:30 pm

Oh, yes...
also I have these settings in the Realtek panel:
for playback device:
checked -> make front and rear output devices playback ....
all other unchecked.
for connector:
checked -> Disable front panel jack detection
all other unchecked.
for device records:
checked -> all input Separate .....
all other unchecked.
Tronic

Postby noisenerd » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:59 pm

Cool, glad you got it sorted tiffy!
noisenerd

Postby tulamide » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:49 pm

I just hope you could cancel your order? If not, it was an expensive checkbox...
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Interesting solution.
I'm tempted to say this behaviour was possibly caused by a faulty jack socket switch.
Quite how that could create a pseudo ASIO device is way beyond my logic.
Glad it's working now though :D

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Spogg wrote:IQuite how that could create a pseudo ASIO device is way beyond my logic.

It isn't. That's just an assumption Flowstone makes. What really happened is that the tool erroneously accesses the ports and doesn't release them. Which makes them unaccessible for Flowstone. But what exactly caused the driver to do so, can only be speculated about.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby tiffy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi guys, well I am just relieved that the problem cleared up when I unchecked the front panel Jacks.

In my opinion the Realtek software somehow got 'confused' when I unplugged the speaker cables live and when I unchecked the front panel Jack and it checked itself again, it must have done for the sound card similarly what a fresh reboot do for the computer. About the ASIO issue, well that I cannot explain so I have to agree with Tulamide on his opinion.

However my order for the new mother board, well that went through and not possible to cancel anymore but a board containing a faster CPU and more RAM, I think it was anyway time an upgrade.

Regards.
tiffy

Postby tiffy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi all, here is the feedback as promised. After installing a new Gigabyte Mainboard with build-in sound card (Realtek) and on-board Intel chipset; Intel CPU 3.7 GHz; 16 GByte RAM; Windows 10 Pro on a brand new 2TByte Hard disk Drive; all necessary drivers, I then tested on this new computer some *.exe and *.fsm files using the "Direct Sound Out" Primitive.

Take note: I do not own an ASIO Sound Card, neither did I install any ASIO drivers (New Machine)

The result?

Same story: "Direct Sound cannot start as another programme is using ASIO."

Conclusion:

1) Flowstone software only assumes that if it cannot start Direct Sound for some reason, that another software is using ASIO (even when no ASIO present), and

2) It appears that Flowstone software has a compatibility problem with Gigabyte Mainboards, as on a ASUS Mainboard equipped with built-in Realtek soundcard as well there is no such problem with Direct Sound not starting.

As with the previous Gigabyte Mainboard with built-in Realtek Soundcard, I again had to disable the Front Speakers by means of the Realtek Software on the new Motherboard in order for Flowstone software to start Direct Sound.

I hope the Developers also read and take note of this issue.
tiffy

Postby Spogg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:42 pm

On your PC do you have a front panel with jacks for the sound card? If you do have you tried unplugging the header cable for the front panel?
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to General