Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Using COM Port to interface legacy game controller

For general discussion related FlowStone

Using COM Port to interface legacy game controller

Postby Asbjørn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Is it possible to use the COM Port primitive to interface with a legacy game controller? I want to control some servos using the Phidget servo controller.
As Flowstone doesn't support joysticks, this is the only way to do it I can think of.
Asbjørn

Re: Using COM Port to interface legacy game controller

Postby Embedded » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:45 am

I would just use an Xbox controller or a PS2 controller (from LynxMotion) as these are already fully supported. Another option would be to use the Wii Mote:

Games Controllers.png
Games Controllers.png (123.63 KiB) Viewed 17144 times
Embedded

Postby Asbjørn » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:34 am

Thanks, but I need a one hand 6-axis controller like the 3DConnexion Spacenavigator or the SpaceOrb.
The initial plan was to connect the internal potensiometers to the analog inputs of a Phidget interface board. But when I opened said controllers I found out they used optical sensors, not potensiometers, so that won't work. :(
Asbjørn

Postby Asbjørn » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Anybody who has experimented with the com port primitive, is it possible to communicate with a device like that? Flowstone crew?
Asbjørn

Postby paul.pacini » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Asbjørn wrote:...when I opened said controllers I found out they used optical sensors... :(

If your controller is optical and not potentiometers, you can still interface with it in FlowStone. Optical motion detection systems use two LEDs with two photodetectors to form a quadrature encoder. This is exactly how an older, “ball” type PC mouse worked.

As you move the shutter-wheel (either a joystick, older mouse, DC motor with feedback, etc.) the photodetectors generate a series of TTL-pulses with a lead/lag signal phase which tells the interface speed, direction, position, etc.

The Phidgets 1047 PhidgetEncoder HighSpeed 4-Input device will read those type encoders and FlowStone will let you process the data based on your inputs.

Or, as mentioned before, with Wii Nunchuck gives you lots of motion detection with lots of capabilities from an inexpensive game controller.
Kind regards,
Paul

Return to General