Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Clicks in synths

For general discussion related FlowStone

Clicks in synths

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:48 am

So, I am starting to get into synths. And like anything show Me some examples please and I'll try to excel.
In fact, if someone can point out to Me ways or where I can find ways to prevent clicks in synths.

I'll try to make some guides and useful modules once I've perfected it.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Re: Clicks in synths

Postby Halon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Could be the envelope settings. Try increasing the release amount.
Halon

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:34 am

Halon wrote:Could be the envelope settings. Try increasing the release amount.

No, I'd meant in general; But thanks. Most of the synths I have tried made with flowstone seem to have clicks. I have not tried kevin brown's to any great degree though; I'm often too busy with school and making music; But i will.

But i tried the jayfgrog nightlife and it is flawless. How is it that every function has no clicks and most of ours do? What's the secret. if We had .fsm's listed that have no clicks then we can solve this mystery I'm thinking.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby Jay » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 am

perhaps the issue is on your side,is you system adequate for running power hungry stuff? could it be a driver issue? i do not get clicks with many of peoples flowstone creations apart from the above mentioned issue with envs, i always add a tiny bit of attack hard set on my envelopes to stop it being zero and clicking, and if the synths have de-normals and are eating the cpu and memory, that can cause clicky audio!

oh and one other issue i have seen with pops and clicks is changing presets whilst playing!

are these the kind of issues you are talking of?

best regards
Jay

Postby Spogg » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:08 am

Jay is of course absolutely correct.

I would add that delay modules in the poly stream can cause clicks. For every multiple of 4 new notes created, new memory for the delay must be assigned, and this will cause clicks which are very short interruptions to the audio stream. The exception is “tuned” delays where the delay is short and related to the frequency, for example in Karplus-Strong oscillators.

Switching of selectors in the audio stream, while sound is present, is also no-no because the schematic/plugin has to recompile the path.

Any fast live switching in the audio stream can lead to clicking due to a waveform being non-zero crossing at the moment of switching. This will appear as a random click since the switching will not be synchronised to the waveform so could happen anywhere.

If your DAW saves the whole VST state, you may get clicks when you change a setting. This is more apparent on more complex plugins. In Reaper you can set it to save minimal undo states. This has to be done on a per-plugin basis.

I listen carefully to my synths before I publish them and make sure there are no clicks or other artefacts. If you get clicks on any of mine I would say it’s down to your PC’s speed.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:48 am

Jay wrote:perhaps the issue is on your side,is you system adequate for running power hungry stuff? could it be a driver issue? i do not get clicks with many of peoples flowstone creations apart from the above mentioned issue with envs, i always add a tiny bit of attack hard set on my envelopes to stop it being zero and clicking, and if the synths have de-normals and are eating the cpu and memory, that can cause clicky audio!

oh and one other issue i have seen with pops and clicks is changing presets whilst playing!

are these the kind of issues you are talking of?

best regards

Yes, the system is adequate, I was meaning the Jayfrog synth is one of the few made with flowstone that has no clicks at all. And I just wonder what could be that different? De-normals, yes. I often work with effects so I have a different mentality. I suppose You have to think in the terms of micro-management.

Hmm, well those two ideas may be helpful; Because I do use a lot of synths without the same issue.And I have been trying to add a lot of de-zippers. That seems to help but I wonder about their CPU use. I'll make sure to add a bit of attack as well. i was wondering why that the best synths were always ready to accept new programming.

That clears a lot up thanks.

Spogg wrote:I would add that delay modules in the poly stream can cause clicks. For every multiple of 4 new notes created, new memory for the delay must be assigned, and this will cause clicks which are very short interruptions to the audio stream. The exception is “tuned” delays where the delay is short and related to the frequency, for example in Karplus-Strong oscillators.

Any fast live switching in the audio stream can lead to clicking due to a waveform being non-zero crossing at the moment of switching. This will appear as a random click since the switching will not be synchronised to the waveform so could happen anywhere.

I listen carefully to my synths before I publish them and make sure there are no clicks or other artefacts. If you get clicks on any of mine I would say it’s down to your PC’s speed.

Cheers

Spogg

I didn't know that about reaper, that's an interesting fact. I especially like Your suggestion regarding the karplus strong oscillator. Thanks again.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Return to General