Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Furure Hardware Support?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Furure Hardware Support?

Postby gvalletto » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:23 pm

senoadiwibowo wrote:Hi gvalletto,

in flowstone you can create everything related with com, rs485, etc. Flowstone gave you creativity in design. I think we need to see from different perspective if we want to understand :), please correct me if I am wrong

regards,

Hi Seno...
That perspective based is good, just not consistent with the approach of the other automation programs that are market leaders. In addition, the way is following flowstone, with this approach is the same as Synthmaker. In other words, both programs are focused to the market for musicians. So, why 2 programs so similar? And DSPRobotics growing in the world of Automation and Data Acquisition at hobby, but not growing at the industry level. This is a shame because flowstone could "humiliate" the monsters in this area ...
I love music, but Flowstone must grow , is a great program. And the industry deserves to enjoy a program like this.
Do the musicians also deserve? Of course! For that we have Synthmaker, just missing a few things that has Flowstone, that is all...
Best regards
gvalletto

Postby Tantricolor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:57 pm

As a paying customer of the full professional version I really want full Arduino support.

Thank you!
Tantricolor

Postby Tantricolor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Kinect, once Microsoft make the official Kinect windows driver available
Tantricolor

Postby fixstuff555 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Tantricolor wrote:As a paying customer of the full professional version I really want full Arduino support.

Thank you!

Not sure what good that is... (Full paying customer that is) I'm the same, and the support level is no different than that of the free software - I can't even get access to the paid Synthmaker forum, and Flowstone is double that of Synthmaker. Take a look at the reply dates by the Admins.. They are never here and don't respond.
fixstuff555

Re: Future Hardware Support?

Postby fixstuff555 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:26 pm

One piece of "hardware" that would be wonderful. A true real time operating system for Flowstone. Something like / http://www.freertos.org. This is something that drives me nuts in Flowstone... I/O behavior that changes with graphics, etc. That right there makes it very difficult for micro-controller folks to use Flowstone, since the behavior can not be counted on to be consistent. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is fixable with flowstone, especially since this is advertised as one of it's features - I'm not sure if they even know what "real-time" is other than it sounds good.. Not trying to be too harsh, but it is what is is. Honestly, it's a bit of a stretch to say your real-time in windows, when windows has an effect on your code execution. A true real-time system can have windows puking its guts up and still be running smooth (i.e Intime, and VXWorks).
fixstuff555

Postby DSP » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:37 am

fixstuff555 wrote:One piece of "hardware" that would be wonderful. A true real time operating system for Flowstone. Something like / http://www.freertos.org. This is something that drives me nuts in Flowstone... I/O behavior that changes with graphics, etc. That right there makes it very difficult for micro-controller folks to use Flowstone, since the behavior can not be counted on to be consistent. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is fixable with flowstone, especially since this is advertised as one of it's features - I'm not sure if they even know what "real-time" is other than it sounds good.. Not trying to be too harsh, but it is what is is. Honestly, it's a bit of a stretch to say your real-time in windows, when windows has an effect on your code execution. A true real-time system can have windows puking its guts up and still be running smooth (i.e Intime, and VXWorks).

FlowStone has it's own separate real-time engine and DSP code section that is sample accurate up to 192Khz (5.2us)! You can't have graphics reacting more than 100hz on a PC! This is why all of these I/O boards exist! If you have speed issues with the graphics system, I would recommend looking at the re-draws as I have managed to optimise my projects by several orders of magnitude with the correct graphics optimisations. Also running the compiled EXE is much faster than the development environment. I'm sure they know what real-time means and FYI there is no such thing a real-time in any form of computer or electronics for that matter, there is always a latency be it 1ns or 1 second!
DSP

Postby Embedded » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:11 am

fixstuff555 wrote:One piece of "hardware" that would be wonderful. A true real time operating system for Flowstone. Something like / http://www.freertos.org. This is something that drives me nuts in Flowstone... I/O behavior that changes with graphics, etc. That right there makes it very difficult for micro-controller folks to use Flowstone, since the behavior can not be counted on to be consistent. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is fixable with flowstone, especially since this is advertised as one of it's features - I'm not sure if they even know what "real-time" is other than it sounds good.. Not trying to be too harsh, but it is what is is. Honestly, it's a bit of a stretch to say your real-time in windows, when windows has an effect on your code execution. A true real-time system can have windows puking its guts up and still be running smooth (i.e Intime, and VXWorks).

If you have timing issues on Windows, which let's face it we all do. Why not consider going to Windows Embedded, this was designed for more industrial applications an whilst the timing is the same underneath you can choose not to load all of the c**p that slows windows down and creates all of these random timing issues. I've made a hardware analyser that samples on 8 channels at 96khz (10us) using an Embedded dual core PC, FlowStone & Windows Embedded. As long as there is enough CPU in the first place the graphics don't interrupt the real-time processing at all! Plus there is now a Windows Embedded Starter kit available from DSPRobotics here:

http://www.dsprobotics.com/embedded.html

UG8000-Inside-LR.jpg
UG8000-Inside-LR.jpg (53.04 KiB) Viewed 18141 times

Back-Pannel-LR.jpg
Back-Pannel-LR.jpg (17.39 KiB) Viewed 18141 times
Embedded

Postby gcefalu » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:14 pm

The following would be great;

1. Axis IP video camera support, AXIS AMC ( Axis media control ) implementation.
2. Google Maps / Google earth integration.
3. Low latency video streaming, now is about 500ms. 64 ms would be nice.
4. Ability to display a web page on a FlowStone application.
5. GPS support.
6. Support for Robotics Connection Serializer.

Thank you.

Guy Cefalu.
gcefalu

Postby fixstuff555 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Embedded wrote:If you have timing issues on Windows, which let's face it we all do. Why not consider going to Windows Embedded, this was designed for more industrial applications an whilst the timing is the same underneath you can choose not to load all of the c**p that slows windows down and creates all of these random timing issues. I've made a hardware analyser that samples on 8 channels at 96khz (10us) using an Embedded dual core PC, FlowStone & Windows Embedded. As long as there is enough CPU in the first place the graphics don't interrupt the real-time processing at all! Plus there is now a Windows Embedded Starter kit available from DSPRobotics here:

http://www.dsprobotics.com/embedded.html

I think that is a good idea. I hadn't thought of Windows Embedded. I have actually used Windows Embedded before, even though I haven't used it in the non-industrial world. I really want to use the hardware, its just the price is pretty steep. If I could be sure of it working, I'd do it in a second, but I'm finding I get burned more than not with Flowstone - it's hit or miss with it in my experience. It's awesome when it works, but disappointing as hell when it doesn't. I may give the Flowdrive a try - but that is going to be it for me unless I see something really great. I've already spent a lot on Flowstone and hardware (about 10X what I normally would with a new controller), and I still don't have much to show for it, except a lot of test code for various functions. I wasn't overly impressed with the Flowboard hardware, in my opinion the Phidget hardware is far superior for less money. I'll try the flowdrive stuff and then we'll see...

By the way... The hardware analyzer you built - did you use the "blue" modules for that, and sample directly into the PC, or did you use the "green" ones and do all of your A/D on a dedicated board, and just upload them to the PC when your were done sampling?
fixstuff555

Postby Embedded » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:21 pm

fixstuff555 wrote:By the way... The hardware analyzer you built - did you use the "blue" modules for that, and sample directly into the PC, or did you use the "green" ones and do all of your A/D on a dedicated board, and just upload them to the PC when your were done sampling?

I used all blue for the DSP stuff, until the it had made a decision then jumped into green for the rest once everything had slowed down. FYI the DSP code I wrote took me two years using C and a TI DSP chip. The FlowStone version only took me about a month and it was better!

also If you want DSPRobotics to test your app. on the Embedded System first, just email them, they are very helpful!
Embedded

PreviousNext

Return to General