Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Reading Loop points from WAV file - possible?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Reading Loop points from WAV file - possible?

Postby Julian Ray » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi,

I have a lot of WAV files with loops (made them for my Kontakt sample libraries), some of which I would like to use for my FS project. I was searching forum on this subject, but no luck.
Can anyone, please clarify if it is possible for FS to recognize WAV Loop points? If not - what would be possible solution?

Thanks!
Ray
Julian Ray

Re: Reading Loop points from WAV file - possible?

Postby trogluddite » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:10 pm

Assuming the loop points are stored in the standard way for a WAV file, then yes it's possible - but not especially easy.
Ruby can read files as raw bytes, and then decode them into whatever kind of data they represent; so if you know how a file format is laid out, it's possible to decode just about anything.

I have had a play at decoding WAV files in the past, though I didn't gt particularly far. Below is the old project file, which you're free to cherry-pick if its at all useful to you - it'll give you a sense of what you'd be letting yourself in for, at least! From a cursory look, I can't tell exactly which chunks of a wav its able to read - you might get lucky and see your marker/loop data, or you might not - good luck!

WAV File Reader.fsm
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Julian Ray » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Thank you very much for the explanation and example - I'll definitely study it and see for how deep I can understand it :)

Cheers!
Julian Ray

Postby tulamide » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 am

There are also two projects from KGisback, one of it specifically a wave file reader, that was quite advanced. But you would need to use the search function (or Google's site search) to find it, because I forgot about the title.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby adamszabo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:05 am

its better if you search for "KG_is_back", thats the username ;)
adamszabo

Postby Julian Ray » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks guys, I'll search it right now :)
Julian Ray

Postby acg2010 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Not sure if this would be of any use but while researching SDR, I came across this reference to parsing a wav in C.

http://truelogic.org/wordpress/2015/09/ ... file-in-c/

Maybe can glean some helpful hints, or convert code to assembler maybe, idk.
acg2010

Postby Spogg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:01 pm

I don’t know if this could help trog to modify his Ruby code, but I’ve attached a short WAV which does loop nicely, and a screenshot of the Wavosaur properties which show the loop start and end samples.

I imagine agc2010 wants only the loop sample values for a player.

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Looping WAV with loop points info.zip
(369.72 KiB) Downloaded 782 times
Spogg

Postby trogluddite » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Thanks for the example file, Spogg, and for the code example, agc2010 (I would have included the research links from my old project - but they were all broken!)

Having had a bit more of a look at my old code, I think that extracting the other data "chunks" should be possible by adding their structures to the table at the beginning. I'll need to think a bit more about the parser though, as I don't think it will handle tables nested within tables properly yet; and if I remember the WAV format correctly, loop points require cross-referencing data from two different "chunks". Coincidentally, one of my current projects is a MIDI SysEx decoder which does exactly the same kind of memory-mapped data extraction - it's a similar enough problem that I may well end up with code that can be re-used here.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby guyman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Can we write Loop points TO a wav file?
guyman

Next

Return to General