Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

How can I separate poly signals?

For general discussion related FlowStone

How can I separate poly signals?

Postby guyman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:32 pm

Is it possible to separate poly signal/channels into multiple poly signals after say, an interpolated read? like post read pre poly to mono, 1 poly stream>>> splits into respective poly monos >>> polytoblue....
guyman

Re: How can I separate poly signals?

Postby Spogg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:59 pm

I’m not certain what you want to achieve but the mono to poly module in the attached schematic might help.

I’ve made use of this for turning a monophonic LFO into poly, rather than using a poly LFO. That way the LFO is free-running but all opened poly channels (notes) get the same in-sync LFO modulation.

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Convert mono stream to poly stream.fsm
FS 3.06
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
Spogg

Postby trogluddite » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:27 pm

In short, no - splitting a poly stream into one stream per-voice isn't possible. A poly stream is effectively an array of mono4 streams, one for every four voices that are playing - but there's no way to extract any particular set of four voices from this array.

The only way to apply different processing to individual voices is to use the 'voice tag' and/or 'id' outputs of the 'Voices to Poly' primitive to alter the parameters of whatever poly processing you are doing. Depending what it is that you're trying to do, this might offer a work-around for you.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby martinvicanek » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:21 pm

Agree with Trog, short answer is "no". But there is also a long answer "yes,but somewhat tricky". I have looked into this because FS' poly implementation does have some limitations. Here is a set of modules for 4, 8, 16 and 32 voices. However, once you go this road you have to do everything in blue: enveopes, fast retrigger etc. I am using this system in Randy, btw.
Have fun!
Attachments
BlueVoices.fsm
(17.34 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
martinvicanek

Postby guyman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Holy hell martin, that's not what I asked for, but that's more of something than I could have imagined... I'm sure I'll find a way to make use of this somewhere in the future. Thanks !
guyman

Postby trogluddite » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:25 pm

martinvicanek wrote:But there is also a long answer "yes,but somewhat tricky"...

I hadn't really looked into how you were processing things when I saw it in Randy, but now that I've had a closer look, I must say that it's very ingenious - the cyclic multiplexer is a masterful hack indeed!

trogluddite wrote:but there's no way to extract any particular set of four voices from this array.

REDACTED! - one of those times when it's very nice to be proved wrong! :D

I've experimented with blue 'voice cards' myself in the past, but my solution was rather different - a custom voice allocator to replace the 'Voices to Poly' entirely. I had done it in the past with 'green', but found I could make it a lot more flexible in Ruby. I imagine that this is much less efficient than your version, and note-ons may not be sample-accurate, but it means that you can customise how notes are assigned to voices too. In particular, it makes unison voices easy to set up; a single note can play as many voices in parallel as you want, with the polyphony reduced in proportion to stay within the maximum number of voices.

As usual, I never actually got around to making a synth with it, aside from a 'proof-of-concept' prototype...
MIDI Manager B v006 (FS303).fsm
(151.53 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Return to General