Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

I support 64Bit development

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: I support 64Bit development

Postby Spogg » Tue May 03, 2016 8:07 am

I know very little about modern software so this is probably a stupid question, but here goes...

If you want to compile into 64 bit do you have to re-write the source code or can you just use a 64 bit compiler for pre-existing source code?

My guess is that you would have to do a re-write, otherwise it should be easy to create a 64 bit Flowstone of some sort...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Tue May 03, 2016 8:38 am

Spogg wrote:If you want to compile into 64 bit do you have to re-write the source code or can you just use a 64 bit compiler for pre-existing source code?

You have to re-write the source code. This is especially true for everything that is closer to the hardware (Assembler, DSP code component).
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Tue May 03, 2016 10:05 am

tulamide wrote:
Spogg wrote:If you want to compile into 64 bit do you have to re-write the source code or can you just use a 64 bit compiler for pre-existing source code?

You have to re-write the source code. This is especially true for everything that is closer to the hardware (Assembler, DSP code component).

I see, thanks for clarifying. So it's a big task then.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby JHud » Thu May 26, 2016 5:56 pm

Any word on this? At lest a word about if its in development?
JHud

Postby knozzers » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Ok, I read this thread (partially) and now I am violating the rules, but it seems that the project (idea) of private funding the x64+(maybe MacOs+Linux...) development of FS is not living anymore, so I dare to give my 12 cents here.

First, it seems that nor product care and maintenance, nor user communication, is a strength of dspR. Other companies are clearly following the demands of technolgical progress, in this case what would be called 64-bit-compatibility of generated plugins.
That is a shame IMO.
Because a software company (at any size) depends on its (hers?) paying customers, and those would be YOU (I am not a customer, but I am sympathizing with anyone who wants to create a synth). As I understand, FS is a yearly payed product, if one does want continuous update service.

Second, I did a look upon this forum with a thematic focus and estimated a percentage of over 95% synth/dsp related discussions. So I assume that most of FS users are using mainly it's Synthmaker based functionality, leading me to the theory that 95% of dspR's income is from either FLStudio or in general from people who want to create their own effects and synthesizers, and therefore the robotic side of the product is nearly neglectable, even if actually some education institutions would use it regularly in class.
Please correct me, if I am wrong.

But my conclusion would be, to show the company that they are depending on YOU, their customers, on YOUR money, and on YOUR good will to support it. Support isn't a one-way ticket. It means also, that for instance, enthusiasts like mr. spogg or kbrown are helping others, making free synths, sharing modules etc., and that a forum like this is living. Support means also, that serious concerns of your customers are not only answered with standard sentences.
I wouldn't suggest a revolution, where everyone drops FS (for a time), but there are many other ways to make this happen.

Like many others here, I am myself reluctant to change from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit for several reasons, although my private (music-dedicated) laptop came already with 8 GB RAM, from which only 3,2 or so are accessible to Win7 32. That is a bit of a shame for me, and since I have a graphic laptop workstation with x64/16GB for my occupation as a CAD/GIS Technician, I can at least follow the demands for having 2 to 4 GB adress space for each (older) 32 Bit application, and nearly unlimited space for the native x64 programs.
Also, I would think about 32/64 Bit compatibility from the hardware driver aspect. Does a 32 Bit audio application (DAW), if installed under 64 Bit OS (if that is possible for DAWS) run smoothly with 64 Bit ASIO drivers ? Or are there problems ? That is something I would expect, but I have currently no experience, because I am not allowed to install something like that on my workstation (company owned).

However, the trend goes in a relatively slow (but accelerating) way to x64, and some developers are already starting to release no x86 versions of their products anymore. Which is understandable from their point of view, as it was mentioned some posts before, that it's not a simple recompiling task.

Plz excuse any laguage/grammar errors in this long (boring?) speech, as I am not a native english speaker.
knozzers

Postby DigiTonix » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Mr. Knozzer's actually right!... I like Flow...

But Flow is not a free product! .. But it almost does not develop, and it is very sad, like the new changes, progress, and of course go to 64 bit ... but how long can you wait? ... As long cock in the ass does not bite? ... :?

Friends, I have someone esle or hurt, please do not be offended.
                                                    DigiTonix (Anton Ovchinnikov)
Creative Technology for Bold Player's!
DigiTonix

Postby SampleScience » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:01 pm

At this point they should focus on making Flowstone 64 bit and give it the ability to export 64 bit plugins. I would be very surprised if there's any true interest in all the other things the app can do (robotics, standalone apps, etc.). I don't understand why they are taking the time to ad feature of Flowstone in its current state (32 bit). This is weird. At worst, they could build a totally new software to visually build plugins. They would have a lot of customers for sure!!

Edit: Just read that on the ImageLine forums, it's coming from one of the mod: "We weren't completely sure about 64bit support until fairly recently ourselves. But DSP Robotics have told us that it's definitely not a priority for them and there's not much we can do about that."

:o :cry: I can't believe this...
SampleScience

Postby DigiTonix » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:35 pm

I am shocked!... I don't understand why they don't want the 64 bit version)))

...Maybe I'm wrong!
... Perhaps the developers have other plans!
... Maybe their hands grow from the priests?! (They do not know how to make 64 bit version heh heh :roll: )
DigiTonix

Postby SampleScience » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:20 pm

I really don't get it, but from my web searches, they seem to target other audiences: schools but also small companies that uses robots and need a cost effective solution. Maybe this market is bigger than we think. In all fairness, the plugin and computer music world has always been quite small compared to other industries.
SampleScience

Postby DigiTonix » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Maybe you're right, I'm not familiar with robotics but... isn't there a 64 bits is not necessary? if they want something let them do as they want...
But I would like to have open source code in this case! (Find an awesome programmer to decompile heh heh) :D
Then we could all make a Flow for yourself!... Isn't that a good idea?
DigiTonix

PreviousNext

Return to General