Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Modbus RTU

For general discussion related FlowStone

Modbus RTU

Postby Kirill » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:53 am

Hi folks,
I'm greatly proud that such cool software exists and has a lot of functionality. I would like to share my work of implementing Modbus Master Protocol. My implementation has only one function at the moment - Reading Input Registers, but I hope to continue development. And I think that I will continue implementation after listening your feedback. I spent a lot of time on CRC Calculation Algorithm, which is not a problem for Modbus TCP. So if you decide to develop your own Modbus, you can freely take my algorithm and make your own Components.
Attachments
Modbus_FC02.fsm
Modbus Master RTU Implementation (FC02)
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 1339 times
Last edited by Kirill on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirill

Re: Modbus RTU

Postby Embedded » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:58 am

that's great Kirill !

Makes a nice complement to my Modbus TCP :)
Embedded

Postby Kirill » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 am

That's true. Of course, these components consume some computer resources, especially when calculating CRC. Anyway Modbus very popular protocol and should be protocol #1 in such software packages.
Kirill

Postby Embedded » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:00 pm

Following your comments on CRC CPU power, I had a quick look at your CRC code. Fundamentally it was ok but there were a couple of optimisations possible.

So here's a version with a new optimised CRC decoder:
Attachments
Modbus_FC03.fsm
New CRC Calculator
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 1340 times
Embedded

Postby Kirill » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:48 am

Great, thanks a lot Embedded for your help! I will try to make another Modules with other Function Codes using optimised CRC.
Kirill

Postby fixstuff555 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:38 pm

As a side note to your Modbus RTU testing...

I used this companies gateway chip http://www.hms.se/products/abic.shtml to interface to a Profibus network on a Siemens S7-300 PLC a couple years ago. The chip interface on the microprocessor side was Modbus RTU. So theoretically, using the Modbus RTU code, along with the $80 Anybus-IC, you could talk to almost any industrial network with Flowstone.

Why is this something you may want to do? There is a boatload of used industrial PLC hardware out there for sale that can be had CHEAP (ebay, etc). An interface method to underutilized PLC hardware may be useful to someone. I've also got some code written in Picbasic if anyone is interested that may be useful along this topic as well (with CRC calculations in the messaging)
fixstuff555

Return to General