Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Anyone know best acronym or symbol for semi octave?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Anyone know best acronym or symbol for semi octave?

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:22 am

Hi all, making a fancy knob and most recently I was wanting to make a nice touch to a knob. But, I wasn't sure how semi octaves have been truncated down to an acronym or a symbol.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Re: Anyone know best acronym or symbol for semi octave?

Postby tulamide » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:09 am

There is no real need for half an octave (technically it is a diminished fifth/augmented fourth). Not going too deep into music theory, but music is built upon intervals. This is done to circumvent frequency issues. No matter the scale, specific intervals keep the same. There's minors, majors and perfects of second, third, fourth etc., but with the exception of 6 semitones. A perfect fifth, for example, spans 7 semitones, while a perfect fourth spans 5 semitones.

There are also short forms of named intervals, but they are rarely used. In fact, I had to look them up on Wiki. A diminshed fifth would be "d5", an augmented fourth "A4". A perfect fifth "P5".

A perfect fifth would make more sense musically than "half an octave", as it is the base for the circle of fifth, on which every modern music is based on.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby guyman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:56 pm

^^^ Tula is correct.

the octave is already the perfect subdivision, and the fifth is the only further cut i would make, unless you go to semitone.
guyman

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:13 pm

yes, I see. It really does boil down to these things. What is a semi-tone? Yes, indeed. Well, I suppose it will come down to intensive research in regards to that, and I suppose with work it will make more sense to the end user.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Return to General