Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

PSA: do not post in off topic, it is for spam bots only

For general discussion related FlowStone

PSA: do not post in off topic, it is for spam bots only

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:23 am

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Re: PSA: do not post in off topic, it is for spam bots only

Postby deraudrl » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:35 am

You know that, the moderators know that, I know that...
the spammers, not so much.
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:35 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby deraudrl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:36 pm

MichaelBenjamin wrote:the spammers are not people they are bots, they do not analyse the stuff that is there and understand it.
they just post crap after crap, automated.
Why would someone releasing such a bot into the wild restrict it to the off-topic subforums of any particular site? They don't, even here. In fact, they're now (or maybe have been for some time) also shoving their crap through the channel as replies to legitimate threads outside of Off-Topic...whether that counts as "analysis" or "understanding" is debatable.

My point, since you seemed to miss it, is that restricting where we post has exactly zero effect on the behavior of the scum (human or automated) that spews this stuff.
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby deraudrl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:40 pm

And, ironically enough, this whole thread should have been in Off Topic from the onset anyway.
So it goes.
deraudrl

Postby trogluddite » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:58 pm

deraudrl wrote:Why would someone releasing such a bot into the wild restrict it to the off-topic subforums of any particular site?

I can't say for sure why they do that; but long (oh, soooooo looooong!) experience of de-spamming the forum makes it clear that for some reason they do - we get vastly more spam in 'Off Topic' than on any of the other sub-forums (several hundred new threads in one night is not unusual!) I guess that it's assumed that spurious nonsense would seem less out of place there, so be less likely to get noticed. The vast majority of the spam seems to originate from just a tiny handful of bots (or bot-nets), so I would guess that this was a strategy decided upon by a single bot developer, who may well be long gone by now, leaving their progeny to carry on their dirty work unsupervised for all eternity.

Hence the recommendation for genuine members to avoid 'Off Topic', as this makes it much easier for me and Spogg to clear out the junk in bulk without accidentally removing any legitimate posts (the tools available to us are limited to lots of tiresome clicking on teeny-weeny buttons!) As you say, this doesn't change the bot's behaviour; it just reflects the behaviour that we see in practice.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Spogg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:27 am

They mostly use a program called XRumer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRumer
http://www.botmasterlabs.net/

I believe the people spamming sell their services to webmasters in the name of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). True SEO is a highly skilled talent for making a website more visible to Google and the like. You get more clicks and so go up the ranking. But the spam idea is to get as many links onto the net as possible, thinking that Google will harvest the links into its database and increase the ranking accordingly.

But Google are wise to this and the Spammers don’t seem to realise it:

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/lin ... es/299617/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Penguin

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Return to General