Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Irregular Sine Waves

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Irregular Sine Waves

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:29 pm

Spectrally, the effect seems to be that of a low-passed saw wave with some subtle comb filtering.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby BobF » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:11 am

BobsSineSloper.fsm
(551.49 KiB) Downloaded 856 times

Hello gang,

Here is another one I did a few hours ago. Notice that when the 2 amp/volume knobs are at zero we get almost a perfect sine wave. See the FFT window. As you change either of the amp knobs left or right you can change the slope of either the top or bottom half of the sine wave to increase harmonics. I added the FWR view just for fun so you can see its wave form and generated harmonics. Also I guess this could all be made into a nice module and also be modulated for even more effects. I guess you could call this one a sine slope modifier, but then you can change either the top, bottom, or both wave forms (triangle, saw, etc) slopes for even more harmonics. NOTE, using the knob you must change the value on the phase input of the oscillator with it to some other value than .5 so the tops and bottoms match phase wise.
Have fun and please let me know what you think of it.
Later then, BobF.....

Edit; This is a NEW fsm, if you downloaded the old one PLEASE download the new one. I made a correction and added the phase control knob!!!
BobF

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:24 am

Yet another one. This one warps the long halfwave to match the slope of the short halfwave, without ever violating tulamide's curvature requirement. Pulse width range is 0 to 100%. Blame it on insomnia. ;)
Attachments
PWM-SineGenerator.fsm
Fixed
(85.45 KiB) Downloaded 843 times
Last edited by martinvicanek on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:30 am

martinvicanek wrote:Yet another one. This one warps the long halfwave to match the slope of the short halfwave, without ever violating tulamide's curvature requirement. Pulse width range is 0 to 100%. Blame it on insomnia. ;)

Sorry but I don't get any sound or wave from this! MIDI in set and Direct Sound turned on...

@Bob:
Nice range of sound from this! Totally not what tulamide asked for but good anyway!

@All:

I thought that KG had sorted this with his dual slope ramp thing in an earlier post. It seems to fulfill the requirement perfectly so what am I missing?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Spogg wrote:
martinvicanek wrote:Yet another one. This one warps the long halfwave to match the slope of the short halfwave, without ever violating tulamide's curvature requirement. Pulse width range is 0 to 100%. Blame it on insomnia. ;)

Sorry but I don't get any sound or wave from this! MIDI in set and Direct Sound turned on...

Ooops, my bad. :oops:
Fixed now in the upload above.
martinvicanek

Postby tulamide » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:09 pm

@Martin
Yeah! This is it! I once again love the elegance of the design. And it works, as you mentioned, exactly as I hoped for. That's just wonderful. I love the sound as well. It is so much softer and warmer compared to straight fm.

@BobF
Wonderful! This one goes to my toolbox as well! Although it doesn't meet the criteria it is a very useful approach. The sound is a bit harsher then Martin's osc, but still convincing and really good.

@all
That doesn't mean I'll give up to dream of a spline osc ;)
Last night I dreamt of it. It had inputs to control the start, mid and end point's y-axis and inputs to control the curvature via the 4 control points and the mid-point's x-position. It generates pretty much anything, from ramp up/down, over square and sine to absolutely exotic waves - all calculated at runtime und therefore able to make things like morphing a breeze!

But for now I will play with those two wonderful new oscillators 8-)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby BobF » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Sorry guys,

I was just going with the irregular sine wave thing and did not want to start a whole new topic.

Great work martin!

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Postby adic » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Hello,
I've found a kind of formula (the following site),

http://www.bindichen.co.uk/post/Fundamentals/bell-shaped-function.html

and applied it to oscillator.
Attachments
general_bell_shaped.fsm
via wavetable approach
(15.65 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
adic

Postby tulamide » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:33 pm

Hey adic, that's a really cool idea. And it sounds good as well. Maybe some of the pros could do a dsp-version of it?
tulamide

Calling out for Martin!

Postby tulamide » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:36 pm

Martin,

it's so embarrassing, but I can't get sound of the "pwm"-sine generator, if I use an lfo instead of any green. Could you take a look at what is happening? I don't understand it.
Attachments
mod_input_issue.fsm
(41.23 KiB) Downloaded 841 times
tulamide

PreviousNext

Return to General