Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Problems with sysex messages (not solved)

For general discussion related FlowStone

Problems with sysex messages (not solved)

Postby carpenzano » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:47 pm

Dear All,
I am building up a midi VST plugin to control the Roland Integra-7 synth.
Although I have already built up some midi VST plugins, it is my first time with sysex messages and the Integra-7 receives cc messages but, for certain functions, only sysex messages.
I tought to be able to send sysex messages using the String To Sysex component (StrSysex) but it seems not to work and I can't understand why.
In particular, whilst the standalone (exe) version works perfectly, the VST version sends the cc messages but not the sysex messages.
I have built up a very simple test VST (you can find annexed the relevant fsm file) but the result is the same: everything is ok with the standalone version, no way with the VST version.
Could anybody help me please?
Thanks
Giovanni

PS: the fsm file works well in the Flowstone/Synthmaker environment, but not once compiled
Attachments
Sysex Test 2.fsm
Sysex test
(21.08 KiB) Downloaded 1114 times
Last edited by carpenzano on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carpenzano

Re: Problems with sysex messages

Postby trogluddite » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Given that it's working OK in FlowStone and in the .exe export, I suspect that it's probably your VST host application that's the problem - some hosts expect all plugin MIDI to be regular 3-byte messages and don't play nicely with SysEx. There are also some hosts where SysEx support for plugins is a hidden away option which is disabled by default; so I'd definitely have a thorough look through your host's preferences.

If this is the problem, it may be possible to work around it by using a "virtual MIDI cable" driver (e.g. loopMIDI) to create two paths to your synth - one for use by sequencer tracks, and the other hard-wired directly to the plugin (or an .exe) using a MIDI output primitive. I use this technique to allow my ancient TranzPort wireless MIDI controller to receive SysEx display updates from some of my plugins.

See how you get on poking through your host's settings, and if you don't have any luck, pop back if you need some help setting up the "virtual MIDI cable" method (there might even be a couple of modules from my old TranzPort schematics which I could upload - I'll have a look when I get a moment).
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby carpenzano » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks very much, Trog.
I have tested the VST in VSTHost, that is simple, solid and usually manages very well sysex messages.
I’ll try again with some other host before using loopMidi.
I’ll let you know.
Anyway I am very interested whether other FS users have met the same problem or not.
Thanks again
Giovanni
carpenzano

Postby carpenzano » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:58 pm

I have made a test and now I am pretty sure that the problem is in the way in which the VST plugin sends out the sysex messages.
I have used my main VST host, i.e. Cantabile 3 Performer: in Cantabile every midi in and every plugin has a midi in/out monitor.
When I send a sysex message from my Roland Integra-7 synth (it sends out the relevant sysex message everytime I change a parameter from the synth panel) the Cantabile monitor qualifies the message received as “Sys-Ex” and in the raw data window shows the whole sysex message.
When I send the same sysex message from my VST plugin the Cantabile monitor qualifies it as “Other” and in the raw data window shows only “FF 00 00 00”.
So the problem isn’t in the host but in the SynthMaker VST.
Could anyone help me please? I can’t believe that no SM user has ever managed sysex messages.
Last edited by carpenzano on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
carpenzano

Postby trogluddite » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 pm

Yes, it looks like you're right - I discovered this thread on the Reaper forum; it's quite old, but if you scroll down to the comments by 'Paul Fenton', he describes the same problem with his SynthMaker plugins, and there's a little bit of dicussion about how VST handles SysEx and regular MIDI messages differently.

So, sorry if I've sent you off on a tangent - it has been a while since I did any hardware SysEx stuff, and it seems I've most likely remembered wrongly why I used the work-around (I have some patch librarians I made too, but I've always run those as stand-alone exe's).
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby tektoog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:03 am

Hey,
If you check the old Synthmaker archive you'll find a few files dealing with sysex.
I havn't looked at them so I don't know if you'll find what you're after but this could be a good starting point…
The files I've found when searching for "sysex" have the Numbers: 3451, 4015, 4955, 6587, 6594,6593, 6824 and 6827
Hope this helps...
"Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences"
tektoog

Postby carpenzano » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:09 am

trogluddite wrote:Yes, it looks like you're right - I discovered this thread on the Reaper forum; it's quite old, but if you scroll down to the comments by 'Paul Fenton', he describes the same problem with his SynthMaker plugins, and there's a little bit of dicussion about how VST handles SysEx and regular MIDI messages differently.

So, sorry if I've sent you off on a tangent - it has been a while since I did any hardware SysEx stuff, and it seems I've most likely remembered wrongly why I used the work-around (I have some patch librarians I made too, but I've always run those as stand-alone exe's).

No problem, Trog and many thanks for your information.
Giovanni
carpenzano

Postby carpenzano » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 am

tektoog wrote:Hey,
If you check the old Synthmaker archive you'll find a few files dealing with sysex.
I havn't looked at them so I don't know if you'll find what you're after but this could be a good starting point…
The files I've found when searching for "sysex" have the Numbers: 3451, 4015, 4955, 6587, 6594,6593, 6824 and 6827
Hope this helps...

Many thanks, Tektoog. Would you be so kind to give me the link to the old SM archive? I can’t find it.
Giovanni
carpenzano

Postby carpenzano » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 am

carpenzano wrote:
tektoog wrote:Hey,
Hope this helps...

Many thanks, Tektoog. Would you be so kind to give me the link to the old SM archive? I can’t find it.
Giovanni

Many thanks, I have found it. I’ll go through the schematics hoping to find solution.
Giovanni
carpenzano

Postby tektoog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:26 pm

Fingers crossed! ;)
"Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences"
tektoog

Next

Return to General