Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Stock led meters - horizontal version; how?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Stock led meters - horizontal version; how?

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:58 am

Hi,

As we all know, there are some stock Ruby based graphical DB meters (leds, image driven) that comes with FS for years, but they're all vertical for some reason. I would love to see them also in the horizontal form, but couldn't deal with the Ruby code to make that change, although the code seems quite short simple. Can anyone show how it could be done?
https://imgur.com/MGbmjrA
kortezzzz

Re: Stock led meters - horizontal version; how?

Postby pshannon » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:02 pm

kortezzzz wrote:Hi,

As we all know, there are some stock Ruby based graphical DB meters (leds, image driven) that comes with FS for years, but they're all vertical for some reason. I would love to see them also in the horizontal form, but couldn't deal with the Ruby code to make that change, although the code seems quite short simple. Can anyone show how it could be done?
https://imgur.com/MGbmjrA

I agree, but there are many shared kits out there in the blog for VU meters etc. I don't recall if there are many horizontal ones. I would like to see a more dynamic meter myself that can be changed within the properties. Rising vertical vs left or right horizontal. I thought about it myself on how I would approach it. I would also like to see the bmp overlay be changed with ease to fit the meter to give different effects all through properties.
pshannon

Postby tulamide » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:20 pm

But this is Flowstone, right? A tool to program things? So why not using its power to create your own horizontal meters?

You don't even need to start from scratch, the functionality doesn't change, just the graphics. And it can be done in green just as well as in Ruby.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:23 pm

tulamide wrote:But this is Flowstone, right? A tool to program things? So why not using its power to create your own horizontal meters?

You don't even need to start from scratch, the functionality doesn't change, just the graphics. And it can be done in green just as well as in Ruby.

Yes, it can be done with green, but the stock one are already programmed well. For instance, the ruby code in the led driven DB meter module calls exactly the same bmp images that are seeded in the regular "led" module. The only thing the code does in terms of drawing is organizing those bmp files on a given canvas, so what I actually need is just changing the organizing of those leds from vertical to horizontal form. Just couldn't perform the exact piece of code that should be changed for that.

pshannon wrote:I agree, but there are many shared kits out there in the blog for VU meters etc. I don't recall if there are many horizontal ones. I would like to see a more dynamic meter myself that can be changed within the properties. Rising vertical vs left or right horizontal. I thought about it myself on how I would approach it. I would also like to see the bmp overlay be changed with ease to fit the meter to give different effects all through properties.

Yep, would love to see that too. But we should start somewhere. I don't think it would be to hard to make properties for the existing code, but Ruby knowledge is a must for that. I've already changed some Ruby graphics properties for some modules, but with a huge pain and trial and error.
kortezzzz

Postby pshannon » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 pm

@kortezzzz,

I was working on a flexible way for graph/meters. The one attached is a sample. You can display it up,down,left or right and change the patterns as displayed in the image. You can change the colors or size with ease to whatever you want as shown. Set the value percentage to change when the signal reaches it. There is even a peak level bar. It is a positive meter from 0-100%. However, you can set the value for min-max and the meter will convert it to the 0-100% based on your value. One more add on is the delay feature(borrowed) that will make the meter dance based on fast or slow to your taste using attack/release. Was this something you were looking for? I am not finished, I wanted to see if there is a flexible way to overlay a static image for effects or display numbers etc. I do want to add the ability to change the number of meters for things like a spectrum analyzer or just a plain 2 channel or 4 channel audio output meter. Let me know your thoughts.

[img]flexable%20audio%20meter.jpg[/img]
Attachments
flexable audio meter.jpg
flexable audio meter.jpg (79.04 KiB) Viewed 12178 times
pshannon

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:26 am

Wow, that looks great!!! :) Thanks for your hard work. I wasn't even excepting for such an overkill meter. I think you better not add a lot of extra features and concentrate in solid functionality. Static images support will be awesome. For instance, using the led images we already have in the stock. I mean the ability to organize them vertically or horizontally. For numbers, you don't even have to seed it into the the same code to avoid the mess. Maybe using a separate numbers module would be better (which you can stretch and increase or decrease their size) so then we can just use them anywhere else for any porpuse and not just with the metters.

Awesome work! I'm definitely waiting for it 8-)
kortezzzz

Postby pshannon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:17 pm

kortezzzz wrote:Wow, that looks great!!! :) Thanks for your hard work. I wasn't even excepting for such an overkill meter. I think you better not add a lot of extra features and concentrate in solid functionality. Static images support will be awesome. For instance, using the led images we already have in the stock. I mean the ability to organize them vertically or horizontally. For numbers, you don't even have to seed it into the the same code to avoid the mess. Maybe using a separate numbers module would be better (which you can stretch and increase or decrease their size) so then we can just use them anywhere else for any porpuse and not just with the metters.

Awesome work! I'm definitely waiting for it 8-)

Thanks, those examples were the exact same meter. I just copied it for times with each one looking different in size, shape and style. You just adjust the size with your mouse to fit. The meter is not using bitmap images, vector works much faster and more flexible. I think overlaying bitmap images will give extra effects. I have wanted this for a long time and I kept going back and forward on bitmap vs vector. If you don't like the colors, change them with color selector. Make them all the same color for instance. :) But if bitmap is what you are hoping for, this is not it and I do not like the current ones today because they fail to often and cause lots of screen refreshes when using a lot them. I am not sure when I will release it, hopefully soon. This will hopefully be the one meter that rules them all. No reason to create a toolbox one for only vertical vs horizontal when it can be changed dynamically. Inside there is a drop down that lets you specify direction, style and percentages.
pshannon

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:26 pm

pshannon wrote:
Thanks, those examples were the exact same meter. I just copied it for times with each one looking different in size, shape and style. You just adjust the size with your mouse to fit. The meter is not using bitmap images, vector works much faster and more flexible. I think overlaying bitmap images will give extra effects. I have wanted this for a long time and I kept going back and forward on bitmap vs vector. If you don't like the colors, change them with color selector. Make them all the same color for instance. :) But if bitmap is what you are hoping for, this is not it and I do not like the current ones today because they fail to often and cause lots of screen refreshes when using a lot them. I am not sure when I will release it, hopefully soon. This will hopefully be the one meter that rules them all. No reason to create a toolbox one for only vertical vs horizontal when it can be changed dynamically. Inside there is a drop down that lets you specify direction, style and percentages.

Great. No words. A must have tool in any toolbox. Good luck. I really wanna see the final results :)
kortezzzz

Return to General