Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Not Flowstone related - Ruby code question

For general discussion related FlowStone

Not Flowstone related - Ruby code question

Postby tulamide » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:53 pm

Maybe trog or TheOm can answer my question, that simply is "what the eff is going on here?"

I was looking for hardware accelerated graphics libraries with possible usage in Flowstone. One of them was Cairo, which comes with Ruby bindings. Of course they are in a gem, and I was looking for a way to implement it somehow in Flowstone. But the very first code I saw already discouraged me. But I'm also curious. I've taken out the rest of the module definitions, because I don't understand this class definition. A class, defined within a module with self as parent? And then the argument setter method definition! Can somebody explain to me, what this code actually does? (The lines are 100% original, didn't touch them at all, although it is a strange distribution of instructions)

Code: Select all
module Cairo
  class << self
    def __add_one_arg_setter(klass)
      names = klass.instance_methods(false)
      names.each do |name|
        if /^set_(.*)/ =~ name and
            not names.include? "#{$1}=" and
            klass.instance_method(name).arity == 1
          klass.module_eval("def #{$1}=(val); set_#{$1}(val); val; end")
        end
      end
    end
  end
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: Not Flowstone related - Ruby code question

Postby TheOm » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:44 am

Essentially this adds a Module method (same as a class method aka a "static" method) called __add_one_arg_setter to the module.
For a real explanation of the class << self thing look at this old stackoverflow question:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/250 ... om-in-ruby

The method does some metaprogramming. It takes a class and for every instance method that starts with set_ it adds a ruby-style setter that just delegates to that method. (For example if a method set_x(val) exists it adds the method x=(val) ).
I haven't found any actual use of __add_one_arg_setter in the code though, just an undef, so not sure why they need it.
Last edited by TheOm on Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOm

Postby CoreStylerz » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Not so familiar with Ruby but looks like it read all class public methods in the variable "klass" through reflection.
if method is a setter (using regex to the method name) and there's a condition not clear to me:
not names.include? "#{$1}=" and
klass.instance_method(name).arity == 1

Than eval the method and create a variable in the script scope to be passed in
Last edited by CoreStylerz on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Need my support for app development, website or custom scripts?
PM me if you are interested.
Experienced Java, J2EE, PHP, Javascript, Angular, Cloud Solutions developer.
CoreStylerz

Postby tulamide » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:42 pm

OH!
I am so used to 'def self.something' that I didn't get it! Regarding the setter meta, I don't really see the advantage of doing that? Seems more like a quick hack of somebody who was too lazy to define attr_writer (or _accessor) where needed?

::arity was new to me as well, but I read about it and it is actually quite useful in such cases. It returns the number of arguments, a method expects (or -1 when the splat operator is used). It gets more complicated if the arguments are a mix, though. https://ruby-doc.org/core-2.5.1/Method.html#method-i-arity

$1, $2 etc. are basically globals, but with the special task of storing the return value(s) of a regular expression (as was used here). #{} is placing an object in a string. I just can't read the regex itself. I guess that would reveal a rather simple thing like 'may not include mymethod=' or something similar?

However, that has helped me. Thank you both very much!

p.s. TheOm, I hope you will soon come up with some fine Ruby based module? It was such a long posting break!
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby CoreStylerz » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:03 am

tulamide wrote: I just can't read the regex itself. I guess that would reveal a rather simple thing like 'may not include mymethod=' or something similar?

Is more or like:
^set_ = begin with
(.*) = capture anything "." for unlimited repetitions "*" in a group ()
Need my support for app development, website or custom scripts?
PM me if you are interested.
Experienced Java, J2EE, PHP, Javascript, Angular, Cloud Solutions developer.
CoreStylerz

Postby trogluddite » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:08 pm

TheOm wrote:I haven't found any actual use of __add_one_arg_setter in the code though, just an undef, so not sure why they need it.

The method is used within the C-extension which wraps the Cairo library (required as "cairo.so" in the Ruby code, and defined in the "ext/cairo" sub-folder of the Git repo). Since C++ code can't use "=" in member-function names, the "set_..." naming convention is used internally, and then the method in question is called to convert these into Ruby attr_writers when the extension is 'required'. Once the extension is loaded, the conversion method isn't needed any more and is undefined.

So the method does serve a useful purpose; though I agree with tulamide that it's coded in a pretty clumsy way - and there's even part of it that does nothing useful at all (presumably a silly oversight)...
Code: Select all
include? "#{$1}="

This will always be false, as the Array of method names will contain Symbols, not Strings!

PS) The use of the C-extension implies that some Visual Studio C++ compilation would be required to get the library working in FlowStone.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby RJHollins » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:45 pm

i didn't understand most of these last few post ... however ...

I still found it interesting ! Have I been in 'isolation' too long :shock:
RJHollins

Postby trogluddite » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:44 pm

RJHollins wrote:i didn't understand most of these last few post ... however ...

You expect to "understand" my rantings? Oh dear, yes, I think you really are starting to crack under the strain! :?

Actually, I shouldn't really admit this, but I have a special tool that I use for writing my "incomprehensible but interesting" Ruby posts...
ruby_oracle.fsm
(12.9 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
;)
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby deraudrl » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:49 pm

trogluddite wrote:Actually, I shouldn't really admit this, but I have a special tool that I use for writing my "incomprehensible but interesting" Ruby posts...
ruby_oracle.fsm
;)
Oddly enough, it works exactly as well in the alpha as it does in 3.0.6. 8-)
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby RJHollins » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:13 am

trogluddite wrote:
RJHollins wrote:i didn't understand most of these last few post ... however ...

You expect to "understand" my rantings? Oh dear, yes, I think you really are starting to crack under the strain! :?

Actually, I shouldn't really admit this, but I have a special tool that I use for writing my "incomprehensible but interesting" Ruby posts...
ruby_oracle.fsm
;)

:lol:

thanks .... I needed that.

mmm ... I was actually following along with the Sir Random text :shock:

Then again ... I prefer the Live versions of your Rants :D

side note: a 'baby's behind' has NOTHING over my hands. After all the wash and sanitizing. There could be a lot of blood and blisters the next time I get to play :roll:
RJHollins

Next

Return to General