Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Divide down oscillators and paraphony?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Divide down oscillators and paraphony?

Postby Halon » Fri May 08, 2020 8:33 pm

Is it possible to make divide down oscillators in Flowstone? I'm a huge fan of oldskool stringmachines and most, if not all, uses divide down oscillators and are often paraphonic, which makes it sound kinda unique imo.
Has it been done before in Flowstone?

Cheers.
Halon

Re: Divide down oscillators and paraphony?

Postby BobF » Fri May 08, 2020 9:06 pm

Hello Halon,

I have created lots of different dividers and multipliers, mostly all for square waves. Do you have some names of "String machines" that use this method? I would like to read up on them! I really think it should be possible.

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Postby Halon » Sat May 09, 2020 11:15 am

Hi Bob. Korg Delta and Roland RS-505 is two that comes to mind.

Cheers. :)
Halon

Postby ChrisHooker » Sat May 09, 2020 5:07 pm

Halon wrote:Is it possible to make divide down oscillators in Flowstone?

If you are speaking of analog-style octave-dividers, chained one after another to provide multiple octaves below the original pitch, then yes, it is possible in Flowstone. As Bob said, he has made octave dividers before, as have I, and I believe Spogg has also.

There are multiple ways to go about it, some are posted on this forum (try searching for "octave divider" or "halfer", some only available as exported plug-ins (such as my freebie: OC-D2). http://christopherhooker.com/plug-ins.htm </shameless plug>
ChrisHooker

Postby Halon » Sat May 09, 2020 5:39 pm

ChrisHooker wrote:
Halon wrote:Is it possible to make divide down oscillators in Flowstone?

If you are speaking of analog-style octave-dividers, chained one after another to provide multiple octaves below the original pitch, then yes, it is possible in Flowstone. As Bob said, he has made octave dividers before, as have I, and I believe Spogg has also.

There are multiple ways to go about it, some are posted on this forum (try searching for "octave divider" or "halfer", some only available as exported plug-ins (such as my freebie: OC-D2). http://christopherhooker.com/plug-ins.htm </shameless plug>

Thanks Chris! :D
Halon

Postby BobF » Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Hello again Halon,

I looked over the schematics for the Korg Delta and Roland RS-505. They are basically a "Top Octave Generator" to create the top octaves 12 notes then dividers to get the rest of the octaves. Then they may add some filtering to get various timbres. That is then followed by lots of chorus, phasers, and/or delays.

Sine we already have poly, we do not need top octave or the dividers, just a few multi-oscillators (what ever you like) , filtering, and then add as many chorus, phasers, and/or delays as desired in various configurations. Of course other bells and whistles can be added as desired.

P.S., didn't you just do a string machine? What would be different with this type (divide down) if I may ask?

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Postby k brown » Sat May 09, 2020 8:55 pm

Yes, I would think phase-locked (no induced drift, etc.) poly oscillators would sound the same as divide down, no? Maybe simulated divide-down would save CPU?
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun May 10, 2020 9:11 am

k brown wrote:Yes, I would think phase-locked (no induced drift, etc.) poly oscillators would sound the same as divide down, no? Maybe simulated divide-down would save CPU?

I agree completely Kevin, I see no point in doing it the way they used to. The Top Octave Generator, followed by divider chains, was a necessary evil back in the day for electronic sound generation.

Unless I’ve missed something…

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Halon » Mon May 11, 2020 2:51 am

BobF wrote:Hello again Halon,

I looked over the schematics for the Korg Delta and Roland RS-505. They are basically a "Top Octave Generator" to create the top octaves 12 notes then dividers to get the rest of the octaves. Then they may add some filtering to get various timbres. That is then followed by lots of chorus, phasers, and/or delays.

Sine we already have poly, we do not need top octave or the dividers, just a few multi-oscillators (what ever you like) , filtering, and then add as many chorus, phasers, and/or delays as desired in various configurations. Of course other bells and whistles can be added as desired.

P.S., didn't you just do a string machine? What would be different with this type (divide down) if I may ask?

Later then, BobF.....

Ok thanks BobF. Yes i already did make a stringsynth but i dont like the phase drifting, but i guess i could phase lock the oscillators instead as Kevin mentioned.
Halon

Postby k brown » Mon May 11, 2020 3:50 am

Actually FS oscs are always 'phase locked' unless you connect something to them to make them 'drift' relative to each other.

Have a look around inside Spogg's A.S.S (sorry), and you'll find little sine oscs here and there doing just that.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Next

Return to General