Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Controlling 2 servo simultaneously with Phidget 8

For general discussion related FlowStone

Controlling 2 servo simultaneously with Phidget 8

Postby ech03 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:01 pm

I just started using Flowstone two days ago, and so far have been very impressed with it's ease of use and robot functionality. But I'm little confused on how to do the following.

I have 2 servo's connected to Phidget Advanced servo controller (channel 1 & 3). I'm using the right thumb stick to control one servo (on channel 1 in the X only for panning) and the left thumb stick to control the other servo (on channel 3 in the Y only for tilting).

Using the Phidget servo sample provided, this was fairly simple. But what I can't figure out is how to set it up so that both servo can be moving simulatenously from the different xbox stick inputs. They each work fine when I manually set them to one servo or the other.

I have searched the forum and samples online and found this post (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=406) but that doesn't seem to work for me. What am I missing about controlling multiple servos simulatenously????? Does anyone have a stripped down simple example for a noob?
ech03

Re: Controlling 2 servo simultaneously with Phidget 8

Postby DSP » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:09 pm

The example I posted works for what you are asking:

Phidgets Servo Test4 RT.fsm
(10.73 KiB) Downloaded 1036 times

The Phidgets board can only process one thing at once but it can do this really fast so that it is transparent when using simultaneous inputs.

Here is an example using the Xbox controller:

Phidgets Servo Xbox.fsm
(613 Bytes) Downloaded 1019 times

In FlowStone when a number changes like a Float it also carries a trigger signal with it to tell things downstream that it has changed. It is these trigger signals that are being used to switch the channel in the servo module.
DSP

Postby ech03 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks for the reply and files....

I'm still having an issue.....Here is the basic setup.....Xbox controller for manual control of 2 servos. Servo 1 is on Channel 01 (second input) of the phidget board and is being controlled along the X of right thumb stick (this is the panning servo). Servo 2 is on Channel 03 (fourth input) and is being controlled along the Y of the right thumb stick (this is the tilt servo).

If I have it setup in Flowstone with only 1 input linked (from xbox controller)to the "servo" module it works fine (for either pan or tilt servo). But when I have both inputs (left stick Y and right stick X) linked going to their repective seperate servo module inputs you provived.....either one is controlling both servos....so I try to pan and both the pan and the tilt servos move for instance.

I have attached a only slightly modified version of the Xbox file you provided. There is a little extra logic in mine to handle the xbox outputs (as I've noticed that their values even at rest fluctuate, so this is an attempt to create a threshold if you will).

I read in the documentation and forum that you don't need to use multiple phidget advanced servo primitives in flowstone, as flowstone can switch the inputs based on the included trigger in the floats.....but I'm wondering if it is possible to use multiple phidget advanced servo primitives for the same board in the same schematic. I because in my instance I am obvisously controlling multiple servos, and I want to assign different velocities, accel, min/max positions to each, and they are different servo models.....would just simply the development...at least for someone like myself who is just getting started.

Thanks and let me know your thoughts and results if you have a similar setup to test with.
ech03

Postby ech03 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:23 pm

hmmmmm I can't seem to upload my file to the previous reply.....can I email it to you?
ech03

Return to General