Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

A graphic tool for easy creation/control of runtime graphics

For general discussion related FlowStone

A graphic tool for easy creation/control of runtime graphics

Postby tulamide » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:52 pm

Ok, so, I made a post some days ago about the importance of runtime graphics (aka vector graphics), in preperation of FS 4, which allows you to resize your plugin freely during execution.

Ever since there is an idea in my head, and it doesn't want to vanish. Imagine this:
A tool much like Knobman, but for runtime graphics, usable in Flowstone (3.0.6+). Yes, I mean the whole thing, layers, coloring, shapes, shadows, etc. But of course without the animation strips, as they are not needed for runtime graphics. Instead a definition of what turns, slides, etc. to what degree and what it outputs.

How this would work? Well the tool would appear like a drawing tool, just like Knobman or maybe Paint, but under its surface it would translate the graphic elements to Ruby code, ready for you to copy/paste it into a blank RubyEdit. Just add the needed inputs and outputs (in most cases a view input and a value output), and the knob works right away.

IT is an idea in my head, yes, but a sophisticated one. I've gone through all stages of development it would require, and I'm pretty confident I could pull it off. I wouldn't dare to predict a time range, though.

But before I dive into it, I want some feedback. The more interest, the higher the chance that I realize it. If there are only 3 or 5 people interested, it definitely isn't worth the effort. Which means, if you're reading this, and were a silent lurker over the years and months, consider creating an account and expressing your interest. And all others too, of course.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: A graphic tool for easy creation/control of runtime grap

Postby RJHollins » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:32 pm

Love when you have Ideas like that 8-)
RJHollins

Postby lalalandsynth » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:46 pm

Most definitely interested in something like this !
lalalandsynth

Postby DaveyBoy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:40 pm

Yep, that's a thumbs up from me. Great idea :)
DaveyBoy

Postby deraudrl » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:20 pm

What were you planning on using for the drawing app? There's a lot of heavy lifting there if you go the DIY route...

I'd probably start with CorelDraw and a set of stock objects to derive the visuals, then use a VBA macro to back-translate the semantics to Ruby.

What is FS4 using for its default runtime graphics, SVG?
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby adamszabo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:01 am

There is already something similar made by "stw" from long ago.
Attachments
SM Knob Maker V2.5.01.osm
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 967 times
adamszabo

Postby Spogg » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:37 am

It sounds like a fascinating and potentially very useful idea. I love the idea of the thing actually compiling Ruby code (if I understood correctly).

For me it would have to be easy to understand and use, otherwise I would doubtless stick with what’s familiar to me (my failing, I know).

Just out of interest, would this be running in FS or be a separate app, like Knobman?
Spogg

Postby JWP » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:54 am

This is something I would use.

Image Line has something like this for "Control Surface" in FL Studio. Take a look and check out the concepts for the aesthetics.
JWP

Postby lalalandsynth » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:58 am

I think we discussed Rlottie at some point , I dont know if you want to build this from the ground up but something like that would be great , so you could design in maybe illustrator and then bring into FS , but maybe thats even more work then just building it ?
lalalandsynth

Postby tulamide » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:51 am

I really like the input from you guys. But to not start any false hopes, I will go into more detail about what's possible and what not.

- There won't be any import of any kind of vector format, not even svg. I already stated that writing an SVG parser is a task I can not pull off. There simply is way too much I would need to consider (SVG supports some very tricky stuff) and supporting only a subset would inevitably lead to inconsistencies, bugs and glitches.

- The tool will not be a bridge to outer sources. It won't enable you to access material that you can find online. See above.

- The tool will "simply" use Ruby and it's drawing capabilities (that are based on GDI+). The goal is to take away the pain of actually programming those drawing capabilities. Instead of
Code: Select all
def init
  @black = Color.new(0)
  @pen = Pen.new(@black, 0.375)
end

def draw(view)
  view.drawEllipse(@pen, [0, 0, 15, 15])
end
you choose any color from a color picker, any shape from a shape list, place it, size it (visually) and that's it. Above code would be generated for you by the tool. The same is true for all the other code needed to create a working runtime graphics knob (like mouse handling, outputting a value and such)

- The tool will have its own ecosphere. As with all things created with Flowstone it will end up having one main view. Personally I prefer to have it exported as an exe and run it seperately, because that would take the load away from Flowstone. But that's your decision. You can just as well copy it into your project and create the knobs from there. It only has disadvantages, though.

@Adam
Thank you for the example. The basic concept is indeed similar, but it's approach is very different. It is realised in green. It is very restricted in terms of design of the knob and it always renders an animated bitmap strip. My tool relies on Ruby. My tool will not be bitmap based! The whole goal is to get away from bitmaps!

@JWP
Thanks for the tip with "control surface". Just to make absolutely sure: My tool would not allow you to create a whole GUI. Just one knob at a time. Also at start I will concentrate on knobs, but I have in mind to create other controls too, like sliders, switches, etc. I just don't know how much time it would take, so at first it's knobs only.

Please continue commenting, It helps me clear my mind and get new ideas regarding the realisation, like the control surface thing did.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Next

Return to General