Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Flowstone - Toy or Real Deal?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Flowstone - Toy or Real Deal?

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:33 am

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Re: Flowstone - Toy or Real Deal?

Postby adamszabo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:46 pm

It doesnt matter because you can make equally amateur looking, shitty, buggy software with C++ as well.
adamszabo

Postby deraudrl » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Context is very important here. Within a very narrow niche, the creation of software synthesizers, it certainly borders on being a "real deal" in the sense that it is certainly possible to create viable commercial VSTs using it. (Whether it's the best tool for a commercial VST developer is certainly debatable, and I have no opinion concerning its use as a home automation or robotics development platform.)

But in any wider sense, FS is certainly a toy, if for no other reason than that it's entirely too specialized to be a decent development environment outside of its niche. And face it, its main purpose in life is to create...toys. That's not a bad thing.

<putting on flame-proof suit, preparing to repel boarders 8-) >
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:02 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:24 pm

MichaelBenjamin

Postby Spogg » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:59 am

In my opinion it can be used as a toy to make toys, a bit like Lego.

But, continuing that analogy, in FS you can make the bricks too; in fact pretty much anything you want if you have the skills.

I prefer to think of FS as being a versatile box of tools each honed for specific usage. Changing analogies, a collection of woodworking tools can be used by a DIY amateur to make wonky shelves or by a professional cabinet maker to produce exhibition showpieces. Same tools.

I agree that getting more tools is always nice but in some ways it can be a more creative process to work within the confines of what we actually have. A fun challenge if you like.

I’m not sure about the “Real Deal” term. Is a set of tools to be judged by what is made with them? Surely that’s down to the craftsman far more than the tools.
Spogg

Postby k brown » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:04 pm

And I'd say that your points are proven quite well by your own work with it. :) 8-)
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:19 pm

MichaelBenjamin

Postby deraudrl » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:21 pm

MichaelBenjamin wrote:ok, with "Real Deal" i mostly had actual "excel-business" stuff in mind, like MicheleANE brought up.
as a real world example i imagine some business probably has some pretty huge excel tables somewhere with lots data in it, now that data needs to set in some other context, reordered, reassigned, reformatted, revisualised.
One can only wish that FS had an extension system as robust as Excel's, with multi-language OLE access to the full underlying data object model.

And no, it's not only Microsoft apps that can do that: Corel uses the same mechanism in its apps.
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Next

Return to General