Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

it is about time...

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: it is about time...

Postby 110 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:26 pm

initializing of modules and eventually the whole data flow works a bit different than i exspected.

how do i pass a "100." into a module when it is loaded? (other than by a float object, which seems to do that automatically)
Attachments
110.map_FSM.fsm
(487 Bytes) Downloaded 875 times

Postby 110 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:25 pm

ok fine, i finally found out how to create multiple inputs to the ruby object :)

but i am not very happy about the Math. function in ruby: while it can do crazy stuff like frexp and gamma , it seems that it can not do basic things like random, abs, and min max, which i need regulary and of course would prefer to write oneliners.

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm in no way proficient in RUBY ... can barely work it out .... but I sure it can do all the functions you mentioned.

The SYNTAX could be different than what used too ...

We have some Experts here that visit from time to time ... and they'd probably have 10 different ways to solve [write] any need :)
RJHollins

Postby billv » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 pm

RJ.... while some experts would like to chip in with our newest team member (Mr 110),
most would recognize from this comment..
110 wrote:i finally found out how to create multiple inputs to the ruby object

that indeed, he's at the very start.
At the start there's three ESSENTIALS.
1. Know what the User guide is trying to say...that means lots of experiments with the Guide.
2.If your a coder, you MUST get the Ruby Core website and continue referencing it every time
your stuck.
3.Start downloading all examples... weather they relate or not to your initial project dosn't
matter-there's critical information/methods/idea's/abstract ways of get things done in every
schematic.

110, it's just like RJ Hollins said, there's a lot of "serious" DSP/Creative junkies here with
stuff that will FRY your brains.
So practice Self Respect, and don't kill yourself with too much at once.

PS, Yeh, um..welcome to the forum :) .. and Planet FS... :D

Long Live General Spoog. Give thanks to Mr Spoog... :lol:
He keeps our "Home away from Home"..nice and clean killing the Trolls.
billv

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 pm

All good points, billv. 8-)
RJHollins

Postby 110 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:34 pm

billv wrote:1. Know what the User guide is trying to say...that means lots of experiments with the Guide.
2.If your a coder, you MUST get the Ruby Core website and continue referencing it every time
your stuck.
3.Start downloading all examples... weather they relate or not to your initial project dosn't
matter-there's critical information/methods/idea's/abstract ways of get things done in every
schematic.

i fully understand especially rule number 2. i guess ruby looks at autodidacts like me similar OOL or html/css looks at me, everything is straight up documented somewhere and so the language can expect that i just look up its classes, objects, and tags and follow its basic rules.

So practice Self Respect, and don't kill yourself with too much at once.

you can be sure that wont start with the invention a new style of FOF and writing it right in assembler.

but of course i am a bit impatient because i really wish i could just take everything i know from the max enviroment to here. say with scripting, or by beeing able to open textfiles as schematic. ;)

one of my main goals is the VST target (though i miss mac support of course, evetually i peek into cabbage later to see what it can do), but this "how do i maxmsp in FS" thing could actually be my first project.

whenever i find something in FS which seems faster and offers new options, i am amazed, whenever in find something which seems cmore complicated i immediately get depressions.

parsing a bunch of default values into custom modules like the mapper above, or a VST parameter module, is something i dont want to struggle on for an hour or more.

there are other things where i am willing to invest time and headaches, but not such - hopefully - very basic stuff.

Postby 110 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:18 pm

spent 3 minutes with the manual only to find out that it has about 61^32057 pages.

but it was totally worth the 3 minutes.

now it is like maxmsp :D ... and i can start converting my stuff in an automated process controlled by maxmsp.

Code: Select all
expr ((($f1-$f2)/($f3-$f2))*($f5-$f4))+$f4

----->>
Code: Select all
output (((@f1-@f2)/(@f3-@f2))*(@f5-@f4))+@f4
Attachments
map2.fsm
(467 Bytes) Downloaded 883 times

Postby 110 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:57 pm

while thigns like cos or powe only use a different sythax, comparison operators do not seem to work at all.

output 10. ** (@f1*0.05) * (@f1 != -90.)

but is it allowed? or is it like in flowstone where true and false are strings...

no comments about including bools in arithmetic float operations please. i am aware it is theoretically a risk. :)

Postby 110 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:07 pm

ah, it does not like the dot behind the 90. now it is giving a proper error message.

output @f1 != -90

works tho and kindly returns 1 if the output is type float or int.

but inside the expression it is illegal. :(

if/else will probably be a waste of CPU... anything else i can use to replace that crap?

Postby 110 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:36 pm

i underestimated how many objects in my library require logic stuff based on comparison operators.

transforming the more simple ones is easy (with some help of google) though.

what sucks is that i can not find out how to duplicate objects in a schematic without loosing settings (such as input type).

copy and pasting 5 objects at once in a schematic just gives an error, allowing me to choose between the two meaningful options "JA" and "NEIN", which both do nothing. :)
Attachments
110-first-01.fsm
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 874 times

PreviousNext

Return to General