Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

FlowStone dreams...

For general discussion related FlowStone

FlowStone dreams...

Postby Spogg » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:53 am

Hugh mentioned FlowStone dreams in another topic.

Last night I was worrying about finding enough room in the kitchen for the Preset Manager.
Spogg

Re: FlowStone dreams...

Postby adamszabo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:02 am

Thats a sign to take a break from FlowStone :lol:
adamszabo

Postby HughBanton » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Needing a Preset Manager in your kitchen sounds like fairly reasonable aspiration to me. I'm gonna get me one of those :D .

It's when you're trying to figure out the Ruby code required to untie your shoe-laces, or working out the filter-type that causes traffic lights to turn blue - that's when it all gets rather disturbing :?

Take a break? How? We've got all of the above to sort first .... :lol:

H
HughBanton

Postby deraudrl » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 pm

Spogg wrote:Last night I was worrying about finding enough room in the kitchen for the Preset Manager.

Not really a problem, it fits fine in the cabinet over the stove next to the pizza stone and the wok.

The real issue is that it leaves a pile of random wireless connectors in every other room. :roll:
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby MrFuls » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:48 pm

My dreams tend not to be so memorable at the moment, thanks to recreational substances.

But I am at a moment where I am starting to see everything in life as a flowstone module. We had over a foot of snow in this neck of the woods, and I was for a moment imagining my snow shoveling actions as inputs on a module, to be called upon in lock-step with a timer.

If I throw down an op amp on a breadboard, I start to see it as a module on a schematic, and all my little passives as float elements. Of course, real world logic applies, so you need to sort out real world problems like power, noise, and non-ideal characteristics.

Real world errors are also a bit less forgiving. Ruby modules are a bit more polite in the way that they delicately inform the user of their error rather than simply exploding.
MrFuls

Postby Spogg » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:13 am

I’ve found that my unconscious brain (and hopefully yours) doesn’t deal with technology too well, probably due to it not existing in our evolutionary past. I read recently that dreams are a method of generalising previous input so the neural network doesn’t become “over-trained” and too specific.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... e-purpose/

So, in attempting to generalise tech stuff, I’ve had dreams about deciding what sort of new carpet to get for FlowStone and what wine goes best with an oscillator.
A dear deceased friend of mine who was into electronics like me, way back, had a dream where he was thinking that if a policeman touched a fireman it could create a hum loop.

Sometimes it’s good to wake up.
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:19 pm

Spogg wrote:I’ve found that my unconscious brain (and hopefully yours) doesn’t deal with technology too well, probably due to it not existing in our evolutionary past. I read recently that dreams are a method of generalising previous input so the neural network doesn’t become “over-trained” and too specific.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... e-purpose/

So, in attempting to generalise tech stuff, I’ve had dreams about deciding what sort of new carpet to get for FlowStone and what wine goes best with an oscillator.
A dear deceased friend of mine who was into electronics like me, way back, had a dream where he was thinking that if a policeman touched a fireman it could create a hum loop.

Sometimes it’s good to wake up.

I couldn't tell any dream close to these. But, back when I was 18 or 19, I made music on a specific set. A Alpha Juno II, a TR-505, my vocals and a double tapedeck. At that time for reasons, I made music with this all day long. I was so into it, that I completely forgot to eat. I drank Cola, smoked 30 cigarettes or so per day and the rest was music making. At the height of this phase, I had a dream. I composed a piece for orchestra and arranged it. I had full control and went through all the 20 or so minutes over and over again, arranging the woodwinds, the violas, the basses and so on. I still remember my issues with the french horns (btw, they were just played, without any humans around, just instruments), because they didn't react to my demand of swelling over 2 bars. At the end, everything sounded so good, a real symphonic experience. Imagine my disappointment when I woke up. Oh, and up to this dream, I never even had thought of working with an orchestra, and I knew basically nothing about orchestras, other than that they sound fantastic.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby trogluddite » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:11 am

What's all this talk of "dreaming"?!! :o
Sleeping on the job, more like! :twisted:

I don't know how any of you can sleep at night knowing that your current project is incomplete and crying out for an eighty hour, acutely sleep-deprived coding session! Only with this kind of dedication can you reach the apogee of performance which I've reached after decades of intense training. Why, only last week, in a single three-sleepless-night session, and, I might add, having consumed the last of my filter coffee, I managed to write 84 (yes, that's right, EIGHTY-FOUR!) critical bugs into just one RubyEdit! Not just namby-pamby little typos in variable names, either, I mean REAL bugs, any one of which might take me until the other side of Christmas just to locate, never mind to fix! That's what it takes to be a FlowStone "guru"! :ugeek:

"Dreaming of coding" indeed! Disgraceful - I would never dream of doing such a thing! :lol:
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Duckett » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:47 am

My FS dreams are horrible.

I have a wonderful idea and know exactly how to implement it, and my schematic is tidy, efficient, and has a gorgeous GUI to boot. I'm about to watch an enthusiastic video demo of it by a very popular YouTuber... then I wake up.
We have to train ourselves so that we can improvise on anything... a bird, a sock, a fuming beaker! This, too, can be music. Anything can be music. -Biff Debris
Duckett

Postby tulamide » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:26 am

Duckett wrote:My FS dreams are horrible.

I have a wonderful idea and know exactly how to implement it, and my schematic is tidy, efficient, and has a gorgeous GUI to boot. I'm about to watch an enthusiastic video demo of it by a very popular YouTuber... then I wake up.

That's so mean ... of yourself. :lol:
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Next

Return to General