Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

hi everyone need some help (Rompler) Samples

For general discussion related FlowStone

hi everyone need some help (Rompler) Samples

Postby djbrynte » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:14 pm

I have samples thats different volume levels.

And i got a rompler.

I wonder how can i make the samples same level inside the rompler. so its balanced. Normalized.

Rex told me i prob need some kind of ruby. Anyone thats good with this kind of things? That can help me out pls?
djbrynte

Re: hi everyone need some help (Rompler) Samples

Postby adamszabo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:52 pm

Why do you post the same topic twice in two different places? Anyway, just use the "Norm" float array module. It makes the array samples between -1 and 1 and normalizes different volume levels. Then you can send those float arrays to the stream and each should be more or less equal loud.
adamszabo

Postby Spogg » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:22 pm

adamszabo wrote:...just use the "Norm" float array module. It makes the array samples between -1 and 1 and normalizes different volume levels. Then you can send those float arrays to the stream and each should be more or less equal loud.

Interesting!

I thought that was for single cycle samples. Can it handle a wav sample of a few seconds with tens of thousands of elements in the float array? If yes, would it take a long time to process? I never tried this.
Spogg

Postby djbrynte » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:30 pm

Adam where is the other post? I must have missed that. Because i think the other post was about same volume for wave arrays. Not samples. mybe its the same i dont know. i tought it was bit different. not sure.
djbrynte

Postby StereoSpace » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 pm

It seems to me that it is easier to do batch processing of samples in some editor. Why unnecessary processes in the scheme?
GUI designer
StereoSpace

Postby tulamide » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:23 pm

StereoSpace wrote:It seems to me that it is easier to do batch processing of samples in some editor. Why unnecessary processes in the scheme?

That's my thought as well. Why trying pseudo-realtime normalizing at the cost of high CPU load for a sample player? Just normalize them beforehand.

EDIT: Just in case there's a lack of understanding, normalizing means running through every single sample point and increasing its amplitude by a relative value, that's dependend on the highest peak difference to the norm value. So, if you want to normalize to 0 dBFS, you first have to go thorugh the whole sample and check each sample point to find out the peak value. The you calculate the increasing factor. You then run through the whole sample again and for every sample point apply the percentage increase of the factor.
That's not a task you'd want a plugin to do, that's meant to exist in a time sensitive environment like a DAW.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby nix » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:11 am

I know well of Johan's specific application.
The samples are most usually, if not all normalized.
Personally I can't be bothered batching and would normalize with the method Adam described.
The normalizing within FS happens at trigger rate, and I assume it is cpu costly,
but that's fine for the 2-6 sec samples.

I think what may too be applicable here is some compressor and limiter implementation imo

I can either batch all the banks in SoundForge or use FS normalizer
nix

Postby Spogg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 am

I checked out what Adam said and it works perfectly and fast! I tested in a wave player using a 5 second sample reduced in amplitude by -18dB and it was normalised instantly. :o

I’m impressed!

Many thanks Adam :D
Attachments
Normalise module .fsm
FS 3.06
(211 Bytes) Downloaded 742 times
Spogg

Postby adamszabo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Yes, thats exactly what I mean Spogg, I thought it would work. In a rompler you usually dont have long samples, you mostly have short ones or loop a sample for a few seconds, and this array normalization should do the trick as a quick fix, but I agree, each sample should be normalized by default.
adamszabo

Postby tulamide » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:34 pm

Spogg wrote:and it was normalised instantly.

tulamide wrote:Why trying pseudo-realtime normalizing at the cost of high CPU load for a sample player?

Really, I don't get it. There we are, constantly crying for help towards Martin and others for ASM optimized code, just to save those 2 nanoseconds per second. And then we implement pseudo-realtime normalizing? Or are concerned that graphics could be using CPU? Sometimes I'm really confused about certain decisions.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Next

Return to General