Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

accurate midi?

For general discussion related FlowStone

accurate midi?

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi all

It's good to see some of the old SM brigade here! So now that we have flowstone 3 with ruby, have any of you guys found out how we can have accurate midi events aided by ruby? i am a ruby virgin but i hope to be deflowered soon and learn some of it, I would like to make some sort of rhythmical sample triggering system for virtual Dj, I see our old friend C.Hackle is over there making vdj pluggins btw :)

Best Regards
Jay
Jay

Re: accurate midi?

Postby trogluddite » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi Jay, good to see you around.
The arpeggiator example that the dev's posted a little while back isn't a bad start - I'm still picking it over to see how it works.
The key to it though is that you can send events to Ruby block inputs and outputs with a time tag from the Ruby clock, which is slaved to the sample rate. You'd probably have to watch how many of these events you sent to keep the CPU load down, but I don't think that matters so much for MIDI because you can tag events with a future time, and they'll spring to life when you told them to.
From what I understand so far, I think that a modules that locks to the phase of VST PPQ etc. ought to be possible. The Ruby clock just counts the elapsed time since startup, but some sort of phase locked loop method should be able to get everything synced quite easily - and Ruby can handle double precision values, so time/BPM maths shouldn't be affected too much by rounding errors.
There is a bug that I found with MIDI outputs from Ruby that means that, for the time being, a little 'green' is still needed - but Malc is confident that it can be fixed quite quickly for the next update.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Jay » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:54 am

Oh excellent Trogg i missed that example! hee hee and i see our Mr C.Hackle is here aswell I must try and pick his brains about things vdj wise :)

thanks for that explanation and info too Trogg looks like flow stone will work out well for all manner of great things :)

Best regards
Jay
Jay

Postby billv » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 pm

trogluddite wrote:a modules that locks to the phase of VST PPQ etc. ought to be possible

How are you going with this Trog?
My timing tests are not hitting 100% accuracy. Looks like it may be required.

ScreenShot093.png
ScreenShot093.png (29.45 KiB) Viewed 11926 times
billv

Postby billv » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 am

billv

Return to General