Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Newbie question. Mixing Poly and Mono in schematics?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Newbie question. Mixing Poly and Mono in schematics?

Postby Spogg » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:51 am

I have to tell you I’m not a fan of busses. I’ve had issues myself so I avoid them. Also when I’ve helped with schematics by others I’ve found that busses could cause trouble.

Just my opinion, but I see busses just for making schematics more elegant to look at and possibly work with. Essentially they replace lots of “wires”, but I prefer wires and wireless connections and distribution. For modulation routing I recommend multiplexors and selectors, especially since you can check the data on individual points along a path.

I fully expect others to chime in and disagree though! :lol:
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:12 am

I won't disagree.
You have to remember, what looks so simple graphically on the schematic, is a very complex programming achievement. You have to store references, make them available at any point within the chain and provide integrity at all times. With running streams that is nearly impossible. I doubt that busses were ever meant to be used that way (although I know of exactly one person, that thinks otherwise).
I think you, R&R, get it right, when thinking of busses as just a means of grouping some specific values and retrieve them at the other end. If you stick to that, you won't have issues with busses.
Personally, I never use busses. They serve no advantage for me. They just add another layer of transforming data back and forth (= more CPU time), and that only to make the schematics look more attractive. As Spogg does, I also prefer wireless, where possible, and carefully lay out my modules and prims, to get a clean schematic with easy to read connection lines.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby R&R » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:14 pm

Personally I really like the buses... and their practial use provided they work that is :lol:

I'm a bit scared of selectors at this point so feeling a bit conflicted about throwing in alot of them. And there "would" be alot... not even sure if i'm able to connect directly with selectors. If even possible the schematic would look like the old space shuttles and moonlanders analog systems at the end of the day... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems the plugin becomes a bit unstable if to many selectors has to switch.
Also I have been having so much trouble with my free running LFO together with selectors... but that can be the combination of selectors and buses (i'm not "selecting" buses of course thats a no no :lol: )

I use buses for routing all modulation destinations/sources... ALOT of them.
All my modulations destinations/sources are connected all of the time. No schematic reload or clicking allowed here! :D
My plug now has atleast 530 program/preset parameters due to a sort of cross modulation type of layout.
Last edited by R&R on Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R&R

Postby R&R » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:01 pm

My schematic is now reasonable stable as 64-bit .exe and pushing around 10-20% cpu.
That might increase when stress testing and modulating alot of parameters. But since I have gone with keeping all streams & values related to modulation (except for the LFO oscillators themselves) perpetually connected i'm not expecting any sudden or steep increases in cpu.

I'm almost done with version 1 of the plugin...

Things left to do:
* Some visual details
* Setting numbers for some static midi-CC's (only the common parameters)
* Adding dropdown for assigning pitchbend and modwheel (which will add even two more mod sources to be routed to Mod Env, LFOs and the regular knobs :| easily atleast 100 destinations each)
* Some more oscillator presets (schematic setups) and adjustments of current ones

Two major hurdles left:
* PPQ for syncronization and resyncronization (not the same as syncronization) of my LFOs
* Aftertouch (is that even possible? Damn... if so, would add one more mod source :lol: thats another 100+ destinations)
R&R

Postby Spogg » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:44 pm

R&R wrote:...
* Aftertouch (is that even possible? Damn... if so, would add one more mod source :lol: thats another 100+ destinations)

This sounds HUGE! :o

Yes, there is an aftertouch prim...
Spogg

Postby R&R » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:15 pm

This sounds HUGE! :o

You mean regarding routing aftertouch? I have no idea... maybe it is :lol:

The synth itself is as I wrote... a really simple synth... basic "left to right" layout.
But most parameter that's available in the synth (even modulation-amounts from sources such as LFO and Mod Env should be modulatable by aftertouch... just as with pitch- and- modwheel).

8-)
People that hate large dropdown menus will probably stay in a galaxy far far away from my plugin :lol:

My personal preference is that I hate patchbays, Waldorf style matrix-layouts and such... and I don't like menu diving more than 2 layers down. I have nightmares of my old 2-line LCD rackunits :D

After setting a few parameters... doesn't matter if its on hardware synth gear or plugin. I loose control of what is doing what anyway... "the cognitive decline is real" :lol:
R&R

Postby Spogg » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:59 am

I meant the synth sounds huge! :lol:

I don’t know what adding aftertouch would involve in your case. If it’s too much work, keep in mind that most people’s controller keyboards don’t have aftertouch, so I would say it’s not essential. I bought a keyboard with it so I could test properly, but I have to press too hard to make useful expression. It’s a Novation Impulse 61. I miss the aftertouch on my DX7 which was lighter, more proportional and even adjustable by the user.

Regarding modulation routing and other design factors I would say that if you design something you personally like then it’s likely that some others will like it too. It’s not possible to please everyone after all.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:56 am

I don’t know what adding aftertouch would involve in your case. If it’s too much work, keep in mind that most people’s controller keyboards don’t have aftertouch, so I would say it’s not essential.

You're probably right... Best move that part to the "todo later maybe never" list :)

I meant the synth sounds huge! :lol:

The plan all along was to keep it managable by not allowing for much control over the oscillator section. As I mentioned earlier there will only be 3 tweakable paramenters by the user (also modulatable of course).
The other usual stuff is there (and modulatable) of course... (cutoff, reso, some volume and pitch controls etc).

I only wish I could create my own wavetable oscillators using some analog gear or even create unstable or analog dsp oscillators with specific properties and harmonics. But since I don't know how I'll have to keep it simple.
The toolbox filters also sound a bit bland but they will do fine I guess.
R&R

Postby R&R » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:41 pm

Hmmm...

Anyone know if someone has shared a ramp or saw oscillator with sync "and" phase, but without the harmonics :?:
R&R

Postby Tepeix » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:55 pm

I think the best Osc might be here : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3561&p=19540&hilit=Martin+osc#p19540
There's maybe another's topic but it resume well.

I never used so much sync or hard sync and even phase not so much.
(Trying to understand also the env fast release or re-trigger option...)

But i think that a ramp or a saw that have no or less harmonics is a very slow ramp,
or a low pass ramp, it go more like a part of a sinus that's ascending.

Maybe a simple zip with a value input will do the work ? ... >> I just try and it doesn't..
Hum again a sort of stage0 mysteries.. Will try to solve that..
Tepeix

PreviousNext

Return to General