Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Problem Initializing Direct Sound.

For general discussion related FlowStone

Problem Initializing Direct Sound.

Postby tiffy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:33 am

My Desktop Computer uses a Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 Main Board and Windows 11 Pro and every time I would start up the MP3 Player I developed for personal use only, “Direct Sound” would not initialize, and Windows 11 displays the following Notice:

“Direct Sound could not be started. The most likely reason for this is that you have an application running that is using ASIO. To solve the problem, close the application that is using ASIO or change it so that it uses Direct Sound instead.”

Now, I never installed any application using ASIO drivers or requires an ASIO Sound Card and I do not have an ASIO Sound Card installed on my desktop computer at all, never have.

The solution to the problem, I found the following Setting in Windows 11 that causes this problem:

“Open Settings then Navigate to System – Sound – Speakers – Audio – and then switch On Allow Apps & Windows to use this device for Audio.”

If this still does not correct the problem, take the following steps:

Open Settings and Navigate to System - Sound - Input - and you should see something similar to Microphone then opening it, navigate to Input Settings - Format - and it should show something similar to the following depending on your sound card: 2 channels, 16bit, 48000Hz (DVD Quality). IF NOT, THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR SOUND DRIVER (Even if you do not see a yellow exclamation mark next to the sound driver) AND YOU SHOULD ALSO TAKE THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

Open "Device Manager" from "Start" and under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" highlight the "Realtek High Definition Audio Device" or similar device depending on your sound card driver, and Delete it.

First, ensure your computer is connected to the Internet, your speakers are plugged into the computer soundcard and switched ON as well as your Earphones are plugged in, and Restart the computer. Windows 11 will now search the Internet for and install the correct sound driver.

I don't visit this Forum very often anymore but I thought it would be appropriate to upload this here, maybe it can help someone who has the same problem.
Last edited by tiffy on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tiffy

Re: Problem Initializing Direct Sound.

Postby Spogg » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:49 am

That’s not a very helpful message! “The most likely reason…” sounds really vague to me.
Thanks for sharing!
Spogg

Re: Problem Initializing Direct Sound.

Postby tester » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:12 am

WASAPI problem, typical.
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Return to General