Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Quilcom SIM-HANDPAN: Less than £2000!

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Quilcom SIM-HANDPAN: Less than £2000!

Postby Spogg » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:53 am

Hello Flowmates!

Tulamide got me interested in handpans which, as usual, I knew nothing about to start with. When I first saw one on YouTube I couldn’t imagine how they were made and so he kindly linked me to a video.
The process is remarkable and explains why it costs so much to get a well-tuned one. Plus you have to decide on the scale and notes from that scale, order it and wait typically 2-3 months for it to be made and delivered. However, if you’re prepared to make do with a synth version, you can have whatever notes you want immediately and for no money!
Here’s the zip with exactly what you’ve come to expect inside it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwm2n7q7orzyx ... 0.zip?dl=0

Here’s my video:

https://youtu.be/X1rcQD_9gsY

I must say I’ve actually played this far more than any other plugin I’ve made and, in spite of my inevitable bias, I really like the fact that I can just improvise and never play a “wrong” note. I hope you enjoy it too.
Spogg

Re: Quilcom SIM-HANDPAN: Less than £2000!

Postby tulamide » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:27 am

Spogg wrote:I must say I’ve actually played this far more than any other plugin I’ve made and, in spite of my inevitable bias, I really like the fact that I can just improvise and never play a “wrong” note. I hope you enjoy it too.

That's the beauty of a hand pan. It is a fantastic mixture of percussion and sound instrument. It is handled like any other percussive instrument, but it rewards you with a beautiful, melodic sound. I already started playing with it, since I can't afford an original, and besides a comfort feature that I miss, I am enjoying it so much!

(The comfort feature would be to map the notes 2 octaves lower, so that I can play on my hardware pads, since it is a percussion instrument. Yes, I can remap the pads, but since all other percussion instruments use the other range, I leave them there, because it is not very user friendly to remap them in my hardware)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: Quilcom SIM-HANDPAN: Less than £2000!

Postby Spogg » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:19 am

tulamide wrote:... I already started playing with it, since I can't afford an original, and besides a comfort feature that I miss, I am enjoying it so much!

(The comfort feature would be to map the notes 2 octaves lower, so that I can play on my hardware pads, since it is a percussion instrument. Yes, I can remap the pads, but since all other percussion instruments use the other range, I leave them there, because it is not very user friendly to remap them in my hardware)

I’m so glad you like it! It’s currently my personal favourite to actually play because I can express myself without worrying about which notes or even chords to play. Also you can do fast glissandos which would be impossible on a real one!

There’s no need to use very small letters for feedback! I did consider this but I have to confess it’s so much easier to fix the MIDI key numbers at the start of development. So yes, a bit lazy maybe! :oops:
But also I’m aware that any interference in the MIDI input would mean fast rendering/freezing wouldn’t work properly.
I also thought (without actually checking) that a DAW could do this.
Spogg

Return to User Examples