Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The Quilcom SIM-CLAP

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

The Quilcom SIM-CLAP

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:12 pm

I just can’t stop myself! :lol:

Yet again, this synth is the result of a suggestion from a YouTube subscriber. The PDF in the Background info folder was fascinating for me to read!

Here’s the download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/05l6nma0dj70o ... 0.zip?dl=0

Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/pA4PIKp87KM

Cheers!
Spogg

Re: The Quilcom SIM-CLAP

Postby R&R » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:25 pm

Excellent! as usual it seems...

And now I know what to answer when the zen master asks me about the sound of one hand clapping 8-)

Basically...

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is "42 one hand claps" with this thing?
R&R

Postby Spogg » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:16 am

R&R wrote:Excellent! as usual it seems...

And now I know what to answer when the zen master asks me about the sound of one hand clapping 8-)

Basically...

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is "42 one hand claps" with this thing?

I was actually going to make a ONE HAND CLAPPING preset (volume at minimum) but thought better of it.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:03 pm

I was actually going to make a ONE HAND CLAPPING preset (volume at minimum) but thought better of it.

Cudos to you... I wouldn't have been able to resist :D But not silent... i'd place a secret parameter in that preset that plays a wav-file with any bruce lee fighting sound :lol: https://youtu.be/J3zYme6oi_I?t=465

From one thing to another...
Was contemplating on random functionality in general. I'm curious... do you use random seed for random functions?
Since usually a song/track(stem) render needs to be rendered exactly the same every time...
R&R

Postby Spogg » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:09 pm

R&R wrote:
Was contemplating on random functionality in general. I'm curious... do you use random seed for random functions?
Since usually a song/track(stem) render needs to be rendered exactly the same every time...

In the case of my SIM-CLAP, every new MIDI note played has a random timing generated, but if you switch to EQUAL mode the delay spacing is always the same as set on the LOOSE knob.

The advantage of truly random spacing is that more plugin instances will give more clap density. That was my thinking anyway.

As an alternative I once made a system (inspired by tulamide’s idea) where you have a knob which gives an output of say 0-100 and this selected number is used as a seed for a chain of green random prims. In this case you have a huge range of pseudo-random number patterns but if you leave the knob alone it will always render identically. I think that would be more appropriate for creating presets for “generative” music or rhythms so you would always get the same patterns for the same preset.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:48 pm

In the case of my SIM-CLAP, every new MIDI note played has a random timing generated, but if you switch to EQUAL mode the delay spacing is always the same as set on the LOOSE knob.

The advantage of truly random spacing is that more plugin instances will give more clap density. That was my thinking anyway.

Yes that makes it alot more practical indeed 8-)

As an alternative I once made a system (inspired by tulamide’s idea) where you have a knob which gives an output of say 0-100 and this selected number is used as a seed for a chain of green random prims. In this case you have a huge range of pseudo-random number patterns but if you leave the knob alone it will always render identically. I think that would be more appropriate for creating presets for “generative” music or rhythms so you would always get the same patterns for the same preset.

I guess some that are into generative music might also wan't truly randomized I suspect... so that is a good feature to have as well.

Seems smart with some precalculated numbers to select from...
So... like a system with a seeded "random number table" but in greens? Cycled through using pitch or... the cycling itself was done entirely by the 0-100 output?

Not that i'm looking for any random functionality myself right now. Still it's always fun to hear different approaches :)
R&R

Postby Spogg » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:18 am

R&R wrote:...
So... like a system with a seeded "random number table" but in greens? Cycled through using pitch or... the cycling itself was done entirely by the 0-100 output?

Not that i'm looking for any random functionality myself right now. Still it's always fun to hear different approaches :)

Yes you could choose any seed you want based on any event you like I guess. If these events were the same every time playback happens then the output would be the same each time. But green may not be the best way to go if timing is critical. For a poly system I would be inclined towards using a stream-based pseudo random number generator which can be seeded. Martin’s white noise generator should work. I might fill a mem buffer when the channel opens to get a seeded "random" array for example.

I think it’s good to talk about stuff in theory even though there may be no immediate need or application. You never know what you might want in the future or where it might lead. The invention of the Laser comes to mind.
Spogg

Return to User Examples