Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Split Keyboard Nightmare

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Split Keyboard Nightmare

Postby kortezzzz » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:40 am

k brown wrote:A note to anyone wanting to use kortezzzz's split module - it may be obvious to those smarter than I, but it took me hours to figure out that Pitch Bend and Mod Wheel modules have to be connected directly to MIDI in, not after the split module! :oops: :mrgreen:

Yep :D these controls should be kept "global".

About the 2 preset managers synth : I played a little with this kinda synth and it can work, as long as you understand the limitations. First, don't expect the DAW to support that. It will work normally in stand alone mode (exe app), but seems that in DAW things work differently. As spogg said, the DAW supports only 1 PM and it enforces you to keep up a decent hierarchy if choose to add 2 PMs. That means that the "main" PM should take care not only for one of the synths, but also for the global settings (which refer to both synths). to do that correctly, I first added one PM to the schematic (which will defined as the "main" by the DAW), saved the fsm, closed FS and then opened it again and added the second PM. Second thing, to avoid errors, you should always work with any text preset bank loaded in both PMs.Naming is very important to prevent errors, so I suggest saving both preset banks as a text files and then loading it automatically as the vsti starts with an "after load" primitive. 3th thing, every preset save you make should be instantly registered to the preset bank as well, so you can send a direct trigger to the bank manager's "save" input that will save the bank too when a new preset saved. Here is a little schematic that shows the concept. This project automatically saves the default stored presets as a preset bank when the fsm is opened and then, instantly reloads the saved text bank with an additional trigger. Also, any saved preset is immediately registered to the current bank with a trigger.
Attachments
2 preset managers synths.fsm
(267.8 KiB) Downloaded 856 times
kortezzzz

Postby k brown » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks for all that addt'l info - I hope it's of use to others, but quite beyond my ken I'm afraid. :? :shock: :oops:
I'm glad to hear it can be done, though.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby k brown » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 am

Here's the finished version with working keyboard splits using kortezzzz'z mods to the Ruby module, to which I added a direct MIDI output for P-Bend and Mod Wheel connects and a Preset module to store Split patches' split point. To the original Ruby module, I added a sub-module from another kbd split schematic that allows setting the split point by pressing the desired MIDI kybd note split point and pressing the computer kybd letter 'L'. Great fun when combined with the ability to pan each split 'voice' in the stereo field.
T-forTwo.fsm
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 888 times

T-forTwo copy.jpg
T-forTwo copy.jpg (168.46 KiB) Viewed 12842 times

Loaded with two dozen presets :) , mostly drawn from the T8's manual patch sheets, including a handful of Split patches.

Thanks so much Spogg for your initial inspection, and kortezzzz for modding the Ruby module.

Update 10/17: Oops, forgot the output Stereo Clip!
k brown

Postby Spogg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:48 am

I checked this out and it’s working well. It’s good to see all those 26 presets too! It does make a difference Kevin. It looks and sounds great!

Speaking about your presets, I was puzzled as to why I got no sound from the preset “Polyglide”. Is there something I’m missing? :?

Thanks as always for sharing your excellent work.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Jay » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:33 am

Seeing my old keyboard split system (red keys version) again after all this time made me smile, I spent ages trying to work that thing out as a noob back then, i created it for a dual organ plugin that I never really got round to finishing, it is pretty much garbage in comparison to the stuff that gets created with FS these days! but fun to see it still about!

Good to see that a better system has been worked out, I will have to give it a hurl in some projects over the weekend!

Best Regards
Jay
Jay

Postby k brown » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:58 am

@Spogg - No, not missing anything (in more ways than one). That slot was left empty by mistake, but don't worry, the Polyglide preset is pretty boring and I should have left it out anyway; given it's name I think it was to demonstrate the T8's polyphonic portamento - which as I understand it is not possible with Flowstone, correct? Thanks for checking it out - I was pretty impressed with the Acoustic Piano preset; I'm sure with a little more tweaking it could be even better. Story goes that John Bowen discovered it 'by mistake' - my hunch is he probably left the Sync button on from a preset he was working on previously, and realized it provided the 'secret sauce'.

@Jay - I'm glad you put all that work in long ago, it really paid off for this project, once kortezzzz modded it for this specific context. And glad Spogg 'unearthed' it in the Synthmakers Greatest Hits' (though I thought Ruby only came about with Flowstone).
k brown

Postby k brown » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:08 am

If anyone wants to 'dial in' some additional T8 presets, download the manual pages with the factory patch sheets here:
https://www.jungleib.com/tag/prophet-t8 ... l-cm1008b/
They are extremely Hi Res, and very easy to see all the settings. All the other T8 manuals I found on the web are quite low quality and trying to make out the patch charts is nigh impossible.

The main deviations I noticed with my plugin is that matching the envelope settings from the patch charts results in times that are too long. Also the filter usually needs to be a bit more open than shown on the charts. Otherwise it seems correlate fairly well.
k brown

Postby Jay » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Hiya m8

My original one didnt have any ruby in it, someone must have made an edit to it later, pretty sure i put it together in the SM days! hard to recall,im getting old and forgetfull :lol:

here is the original one converted to an Fsm file
split keyz.fsm
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 912 times

Best Regards
Jay
Jay

Previous

Return to User Examples