Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Quntal Interpolation (Next to Cubic)

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Quntal Interpolation (Next to Cubic)

Postby chackl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:56 am

Hello!

I just did a Quintal Interpolation.
It uses 6 Poits to interpolate between the 2st and 3rd point.
I know it is not needed but verry interesting if you do not need a Realtime DSP Process.

It is sounding verry interesting by converting wave files from 44100Hz/16Bit to Remasterlevel at leas 96Hz/24Bit.
But it needs heavy CPU!!!
It is just an Example ;)

Best Regards
C.Hackl
Attachments
quintal Interpolate.fsm
Quintal Interpolation by C.Hackl 2012
(54.78 KiB) Downloaded 1364 times
100% accuracy is the guarantee to your success. The value alters if you combine it with musical creativity.
chackl

Re: Quntal Interpolation (Next to Cubic)

Postby TheAudiophileDutchman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:35 pm

This is an excellent example, thanks. :o 8-)

Being the proud new owner of a Focusrite Forte USB interface, I would be interested in using these kind of interpolation techniques for upsampling and streaming CD-tracks to 192kHz/24bit, instead of resorting to a proprietary solution like XXHighEnd audio player (or sample conversion with e.g. r8brain PRO).

Question: how does one have to interpret the last point in the draw wave graph compared to the interpolated graph, i.e. they seem to be far off, while the second last point is still positioned 'exactly right'? The stock cubic interpolation resampler shows similar behaviour (not sure about Smoothing on/off).
T A D - since 2005
TheAudiophileDutchman

Postby trogluddite » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Nice work, Chakl - a very smooth looking output, I look forward to trying this on some 'real world' data.

TheAudiophileDutchman wrote:Question: how does one have to interpret the last point in the draw wave graph compared to the interpolated graph, i.e. they seem to be far off, while the second last point is still positioned 'exactly right'? The stock cubic interpolation resampler shows similar behaviour (not sure about Smoothing on/off).

This is common to any form of interpolation that uses more than the two point either side of the interpolation point - at the start and end, there is always a small section where the interpolation requires points beyond the ends of the original data. The results depend on what strategy you use to 'pad' the array with extra points to avoid 'out-of-range' errors - either just zero's, or trying to 'guess' the continuation of the data. In this case of a looped sample, you don't have to worry about this, as you can 'wrap around' points from the opposite end of the array.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby chackl » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:43 am

well i will explain it like this:

y1=array[i-2];
y2=array[i-1];
y3=array[i];
y4=array[i+1];
y5=array[i+2];
y6=array[i+3];

On Smoothed Ends = False
if i = 0 then
y1 = y2 = y3 =array[i];
If i = Maximum i
y3 = y4 = y5 = y6 =array[i-max];

And if ens sommth is on
if i = 0 then
y1, y2 will get the last 2 Point of the array
If i = Maximum i
y4,y5,y6 will get the first 3 Points of the array
100% accuracy is the guarantee to your success. The value alters if you combine it with musical creativity.
chackl

Fast 6p 5o Upsampling Interpolation

Postby TheAudiophileDutchman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Allright then, being back in town and still chasing the idea of efficient realtime upsampling of CD tracks.

Focussing on upsampling speed and 32-bit accuracy (for now), let's discard array calculations as much as possible (and forget about looping, but retain smooth ends), vastly reduce the number of mul (div!) & add operations and CPU-hungry sample read components (in case of streaming code). :arrow:

Here's an early prototype 44.1 -> 192 kHz mono upsampler. The main algorithm has also been transferred to streaming code (which appears to be quite easy to do from Ruby, albeit untested):

Fast 6p 5o Upsampling Interpolation - TAD 2012.fsm
(8.23 KiB) Downloaded 1502 times
T A D - since 2005
TheAudiophileDutchman

Postby trogluddite » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:27 am

Looking nice - and I like the 'Ruby Algorithm Prototyping' idea too, much easier to de-bug than code/assembly - I might just have to steal that trick! ;) :D

That Ruby version might be well worth hanging on to as well - unlike code, Ruby uses all double-precision floats, for more accurate results. Don't have the kit to tell how audible the difference would be, but if going up to those high sample rates, might as well keep as much resolution as possible (only for cases where the slower off-line processing time is not a problem, of course). With Ruby's array iterating and file handling capabilities it could turn into quite a handy little batch processor for wave files maybe?
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby TheAudiophileDutchman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:50 am

trogluddite wrote:Looking nice - and I like the 'Ruby Algorithm Prototyping' idea too, much easier to de-bug than code/assembly - I might just have to steal that trick! ;) :D
Thanks, I take that as a compliment: "Good Ruby artists copy, great Ruby artists steal." :shock: :lol:

trogluddite wrote:...unlike code, Ruby uses all double-precision floats, for more accurate results...
Actually, I'm already anticipating on Malc's promise of better 64-bit streaming support in FS 3. 8-)
T A D - since 2005
TheAudiophileDutchman

Return to User Examples