Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Dropbox question for Spogg

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Dropbox question for Spogg

Postby k brown » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:36 pm

It seems Sync has changed policies, and after many years of having a link on my website for people to download my synths, it no longer works - something about having reached a "daily limit"; really, after all these years?

Just curious to know what sort of plan you have with Dropbox; are you paying an annual fee for allowing unlimited downloads? Do the links on Flowstoners for individual plugs actually link to files on Dropbox? How have you set all this up?

If you had to do it all over again would you do anything differently? We're sort of in the same 'business' - offering a ridiculous number of plugins for free. I seem to be staring down the lovely prospect of laboriously uploading e v e r y s i n g l e s y n t h, one by one onto another download site.

I guess the simplest answer is to switch from a free Sync accnt to a paid one - but you should see the look on my wife's face when that comes up . . .

It's just galling that after all this time, the simple system I had set up was working perfectly, and now - not.

The other frustrating thing I've found looking onto alternative sites, is that they don't offer the option of links that don't expire after a certain time - that obviously does me no good.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Re: Dropbox question for Spogg

Postby Spogg » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:02 am

Hi Kevin

I pay an annual fee for Dropbox and I love it for many reasons. In my view it’s miles better than Google Drive because I can post a link and anyone can get the zip without having to jump through hoops like all individuals having to ask for permission if they don’t have a Google account etc. I can choose to make files and whole folders online only, so I don’t have to store copies on my HD, and it’s really fast. I can edit files online, like for my finances spreadsheet, and it’s just like being on my local HD; it works transparently. The software gets updated automatically and is integrated with Windows Explorer, so Dropbox looks and works like just another hard drive.

On flowstoners website I upload the same zip that I share on Dropbox and add the link to the image, so the file is stored on the website server. I pay a small monthly fee to Ionos (formerly 1&1) for web hosting and a small annual fee for domain renewal. There are free website hosting companies but I prefer to have my website ad-free.

Based on me being very satisfied with the services I have I would take the same approach again and recommend it. But of course if someone needs a free route there will always be compromises. What I do is my passion and hobby, so I don’t regret spending a few quid on this aspect. After all, most hobbies carry a much higher financial cost than ours!
Spogg

Postby k brown » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:21 am

Thanks so much; I don't think Weebly has a way to store zip files on it - I'll have to look into that a little.

Unfortunately, I spend way too much on my other hobby - recording, so having 'the synth thing' costing us money every year is rather a no-go with the spouse-y.

I think I jumped to a false conclusion with Sync - it seems that yesterday there was too many people trying to upload at the same time; now everything seems to be OK - I'd just never seen that happen before. Maybe somebody just published a YouTube vid or review or something.

Thanks again for your input.

On an unrelated matter, I'm probably the last person on the planet to realize that the old EG prim that had a trig input (ADSR4?) doesn't show up in FS4. I just discovered none of my synths that have LFO trig and AD loop that used that prim no longer have those functions working. Is there a current FS4-friendly EG that can be triggered by the LFO and cycle the AD stages (act like an LFO)?
k brown

Postby Spogg » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:58 am

k brown wrote:On an unrelated matter, I'm probably the last person on the planet to realize that the old EG prim that had a trig input (ADSR4?) doesn't show up in FS4. I just discovered none of my synths that have LFO trig and AD loop that used that prim no longer have those functions working. Is there a current FS4-friendly EG that can be triggered by the LFO and cycle the AD stages (act like an LFO)?

Short answer is I don’t know. :oops:

Longer answer is that I recommend uploading a demo schematic to Discord to the Help section to show what’s not now working. One important philosophy is that anything made in FS3 should work properly in FS4, so this is important!
Spogg

Postby k brown » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:30 am

Yeah it's weird, in every schem I checked that had the ADSR4 prim in it had a different one in it's place when opened in FS4.

I'll post schems tomorrow - bedtime . . .
k brown

Postby tulamide » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:25 pm

You both will continue having issuesin the future. And it is not Dropbox causing it, but both of your publicity growing. The limits of Dropbox have never been changed.

The free account has an allowed bandwidth of 20 GB and 100,000 (!) downloads PER DAY (see, Kevin, how much you grew in popularity? The bandwidth is the limiting factor here)

The paid plans that are not "business" don't restrict the number of downloads, but the bandwidth is restricted to 400 GB. This will affect you, Rex, at some point. A 40 MB plugin zip could be downloaded 10,000 times per day, before the limit is reached. I predict this will happen very soon.

A free dropbox alternative without bandwidth limit is Internxt. It also comes with full end-to-end encryption, which Dropbox also doesn't have, but that's less important for this specific topic.

https://internxt.com/drive
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby k brown » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:25 pm

Very interesting, thanks for that. I'll look into it.
k brown

Postby deraudrl » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:06 pm

tulamide wrote:You both will continue having issuesin the future. And it is not Dropbox causing it, but both of your publicity growing. The limits of Dropbox have never been changed.

The free account has an allowed bandwidth of 20 GB and 100,000 (!) downloads PER DAY (see, Kevin, how much you grew in popularity? The bandwidth is the limiting factor here)

The paid plans that are not "business" don't restrict the number of downloads, but the bandwidth is restricted to 400 GB. This will affect you, Rex, at some point. A 40 MB plugin zip could be downloaded 10,000 times per day, before the limit is reached. I predict this will happen very soon.

Meaning no disrespect to the popularity of Kevin and Spogg, but those limits sound insanely high and the probability of exceeding them correspondingly low, at least with regards to regular (i.e. human) users. Are there thousands of bots scouring Dropbox and downloading every public link?
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby k brown » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:12 pm

It's only happened to me once, and it was brief - fair to say it was a fluke.
k brown

Postby k brown » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:39 pm

Spogg wrote:
k brown wrote:On an unrelated matter, I'm probably the last person on the planet to realize that the old EG prim that had a trig input (ADSR4?) doesn't show up in FS4. I just discovered none of my synths that have LFO trig and AD loop that used that prim no longer have those functions working. Is there a current FS4-friendly EG that can be triggered by the LFO and cycle the AD stages (act like an LFO)?

Short answer is I don’t know. :oops:

Longer answer is that I recommend uploading a demo schematic to Discord to the Help section to show what’s not now working. One important philosophy is that anything made in FS3 should work properly in FS4, so this is important!

I don't remember how to get on/use Discord (never use it), so I'll just post the screenshots, if they're of any use.

I remembered wrong, it's the 'ADSR (manual)' prim not the 'ADSR4' prim that's getting auto-replaced by the module shown, when schem is opened in FS4.
The attachment Orig.jpg is no longer available

Orig.jpg
Orig.jpg (168.21 KiB) Viewed 6625 times

Which looks like this inside:
In FS4.jpg
In FS4.jpg (48.05 KiB) Viewed 6625 times

As you can see my beloved little 'Trig' input has nowhere to go! ; - (

I'd been using the Trig input to do LFO triggering, and the 'Stage' (lower) output of the prim to do 'AD Repeat' (cycling) function.
k brown

Next

Return to User Examples