Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The Quilcom SIM-MANUHARP

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

The Quilcom SIM-MANUHARP

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:18 am

This one isn’t really a proper simulation because there’s no such thing as a “Manuharp”. I figured if you could have an Autoharp then why not a Manuharp. Get it? A manual harp if you like (which is actually a zither).

It’s actually a melody version of the SIM-AUTOHARP, so you don’t strum the strings, you play them with your keyboard in a regular way. The sound engine is nearly identical to the AUTOHARP and the plugin is a much stripped-down arrangement.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pg2fwypec2is8 ... P.zip?dl=0

Short video:

https://youtu.be/KZMzgRPpG2I
Spogg

Re: The Quilcom SIM-MANUHARP

Postby R&R » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:10 pm

119!!! :P

What's that... like... 1.23 plugins a month since 2015? You madman! ;)

On that note...
Felt my webpage was a bit of a waste of space so I have extended my links page with an overview of your plugins with anchor links Quilcom plugins

The anchor links was a bit off... Edit: Fixed now hopefully

And... intend to add some short descriptions and categorizations for all later. Just haven't gotten to it yet.
Took the liberty to divide them into 3 generations. Mostly based on look. Easier on the eyes than just showing all without some visual spacing.
Last edited by R&R on Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R&R

Postby R&R » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:22 pm

I would also be able to mirror your zip-files if you would like. Atleast as long as i'm paying for this particular hosting.

But in that case I would not link to any of the files myself. Anyone wanting them would have to visit your site to download.

Let me know if so... I have around 100gb or so to spare atleast at the moment.

AND! Naturally...
If you don't like me currently linking you page or any of it... Let me know. I'll remove it ASAP 8-)
R&R

Postby Spogg » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:40 am

That’s great thanks! :o
That must have been a LOT of work! :shock:

You can link to my zips if you want (other sites have) but they don’t include the video links so it might be best to keep it as it is.
However, since I pay for hosting, when I die (I’ve no plans!) all the stuff will no longer be available, so to have them actually deposited on another server would be a great idea. It’s entirely up to you and others.

Cheers!
Spogg

Postby R&R » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:10 pm

when I die (I’ve no plans!) all the stuff will no longer be available

I've heard that healthy food and exercise does wonders in that regard. Haven't tried it myself though :lol:
We're expecting atleat 119 more Quilcom plugins so... ;)

You can link to my zips if you want (other sites have) but they don’t include the video links so it might be best to keep it as it is.

The solution I used to create the image galleries on my page is really crap. At the moment I'm not able to include video or zip-link from an enlarged screenshot (or rather it's description when viewed enlarged) of your plugins.
Would have been nice if that had been possible. 8-)
Instead I ended up with small thumbnails and anchor links. Atleast for now...

We'll see how I decide to solve it...
Maybe I'll just download all zips and store them in a folder, in case I can solve the video part.
R&R

Postby R&R » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:09 pm

:P
Creating the link gallery was reasonably fast, but the short descriptions was a little bit of a pain :lol:

Thought I'd mark out the physical modelling plugins...

Maybe you can help me clarify which plugins you define as physical modelling based on their inner workings... iow where do you draw the line?

I have zero knowledge about these things, being more of a graphics person :roll: For me... for example resonance (incl sympathetic) is a physical modelling if it's has any paramenter dependent of a characteristic from the actual instruments body/enclosure, horn, tube, strings, membrane, bell and so on...

Maybe easier to point out if which SIMs are not based on any tangible physical characteristics :lol:
R&R

Postby Spogg » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:54 pm

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this! :oops:

The term Physical Modelling is very much open to interpretation. You could say that an oscillator and envelope could “model” a plucked string. At the other extreme, very complex mathematics can be used to create an analogous model which would be far more accurate and realistic than say a Minimoog doing a “brass” sound.

In my case I use whatever method(s) get the closest result to what I seek, without taking a heavy-duty maths approach.

So I can’t really categorise my synths that way, but what you could do is separate my SIMs from the other stuff. A lot of my early stuff was made to explore different synthesis methods, like FM, additive and so on. So that could be another category.
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:38 pm

While I agree that in the strictest sense of the term, your SIM-series might not classify as physical modeling. But there are more aspects to it than just mathematical principles of insturment behaviors. For example, a strong point is the ability for the user to control every little aspect of the instrument, in terms of "modules" of the complete instrument. An example would be the ability to change the behavior of the mouthpiece of a brass. And that is certainly true for your SIM-series.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby R&R » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:48 pm

Spogg wrote:The term Physical Modelling is very much open to interpretation.

Spogg wrote:In my case I use whatever method(s) get the closest result to what I seek

tulamide wrote:a strong point is the ability for the user to control every little aspect of the instrument, in terms of "modules" of the complete instrument. An example would be the ability to change the behavior of the mouthpiece of a brass. And that is certainly true for your SIM-series.

:lol: Well that didn't make it any easier...

Think I'll just use "SIMs & physical modelling" as headline for now :)

True, there probably isn't any definite line that can be drawn... A model is a model after all (even within the field of testing). Advanced or simple any model collectively models either physical features/attributes like in this case a resonant box/chamber or aninstruments physical user interface.

I'm reminded of the early hardware analogue emulation synths... they sounded nice, but I wouldn't say they were much characterwise like any analogue synth I ever had.
I guess they were emulations based of crude (of that timeperiod) modelling of key electrical component behaviour. Maybe similar to what you did fairly recent with that ASS of yours Spogg :lol: and maybe others of your synth plugins...

Edit: But pretty sure you've probably outdone most of the earlier emulations I remember with that analogue sound synth as well.
:lol: Man... I remember I was so impressed when I tested a standalone software along time ago, that was able to utilize the processor (wasn't it actually called EMU something?) and filters of my SoundBlaster soundcard. It was magic. Nowadays you probably make more advanced stuff with you plugins :lol:
Last edited by R&R on Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
R&R

Postby R&R » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:22 pm

But "synth emulations" aside (funny enough "synth" synths bore me a little bit :))
I really like the SIMs since they are recreating acoustic instruments... and you manage to make them sound natural.

Have you spoken to players of the real instruments you've recreated Spogg?

Any of the Chinese ones? What do they think?
R&R

Next

Return to User Examples