Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Yet Another Oscillator

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Yet Another Oscillator

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:14 am

I am always in search of new ways to create sound. Here is an oscillator with three modulation inputs. The inclined reader will find more (nerdy) explanations inside the schematic. It is a *very* basic demo synth to showcase the variety of sounds you can get. Some are akin to vowels, others resemble sync'ed oscillators, but all are unique in some way.

Have fun!
MV
Attachments
YetAnotherOsc.fsm
(123.76 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
martinvicanek

Re: Yet Another Oscillator

Postby adamszabo » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:22 am

Nice! Sounds like FM modulation ;)
adamszabo

Postby R&R » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:50 pm

Utmärkt som vanligt!...

Me instantly trying to figure out how I can squeeze this into my newbie synth without departing from concept:

one_more.jpg
one_more.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 16108 times

Like it hasn't got any MV stuff in it already :lol:
R&R

Postby Spogg » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:28 pm

This is a very interesting oscillator! :o

I really like that it has low CPU, especially with all those partials being generated. Also I couldn’t make it aliase in spite of the potential for lots of high harmonics.

What really caught my ear is that the timbre changes somewhat with different pitches. The most noticeable difference is if you compare a low pitched C with a low pitched F. I tried a smooth shift using pitch bend and fortunately I didn’t hear any sudden transitions, so the change is smooth. For me, this variation is a welcome bonus and has the potential to sound more “natural” somehow.

Once again Martin, an amazing addition to our armoury!
Thank you SO much. :D
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:59 pm

Thanks for your nice comments, guys.
@Adam, yes, I see what you mean. When you vary the Range, it is comparable to varying the modulation index in FM.
@R@R That image looks like a European car modded for UK or Australia. :P I like the MacGyver vibe. Is that your blueprint for integrating "MV stuff"? :lol:
@Spogg There is a rather rude safeguard mechanism to avoid aliasing. And yes, I also noticed that timbre dependence on pitch. I don't have an elaborated explanation for it, but I suspect it is somehow related to the octave staging. For F, the steps are at a different position in the spectrum, compared to C.

Looking forward to seeing this thingy in a serious application maybe!
martinvicanek

Postby R&R » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:33 pm

martinvicanek wrote:@R@R That image looks like a European car modded for UK or Australia. I like the MacGyver vibe. Is that your blueprint for integrating "MV stuff"?

Yup! The MacGyver route is pretty much my entire approach.
In fact. My synth is mostly held together by duct tape, paperclips and bubblegum wrapping.

At this point without MV stuff in it, it would only be duct tape, paperclips, wrappings and... "the sound of silence"

simon-and-garfunkel.gif
simon-and-garfunkel.gif (1.14 MiB) Viewed 15987 times

:lol:
R&R

Postby billv » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:16 pm

martinvicanek wrote:I am always in search of new ways to create sound.

Just what the world needs...a new abstract sound generator... it sounds interesting...
keep them coming martin...keep pushing the boundaries.... :D
billv

Postby R&R » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:00 pm

Was reminded just now by Kevins post of his NeuOld FM synth about a little wish I had regarding one of your oscillators MV :P

My main (fundamental) Saw in my synth uses your syncable LFO ramp&saw oscillators equipped with the transition time input. The one inside the LFO that Spogg kindly posted here

I use it as is feeding the variable transition input with poly, and it works brilliantly for that purpose (despite extra harmonics 8-))

Yet wondering... Would it be possible to make a version of that oscillator that has a fixed (bound) output to +1 -1 regardless of transition time? Similar to the WaveShape oscillator that Kevin uses?

I tried normalizing on the oscillators output, but my math simply sucks!!! :lol:
Maybe you can help me out?

I would use that version for my LFO. But I suspect it might be useful for other ppl... maybe as a main oscillators as well. Who knows...
Last edited by R&R on Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R&R

Postby k brown » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:35 pm

Since we're gettin' greedy :oops: , It'd be interesting to see a version of the Spread Partials osc that could be phase modulated; that might make for an awesome FM synth!
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby R&R » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:22 pm

k brown wrote:Since we're gettin' greedy :oops: , It'd be interesting to see a version of the Spread Partials osc that could be phase modulated; that might make for an awesome FM synth!

Hey I didn't even know about that one :)
Are you using it in one of your creations? so I can take a listen?

In Addition "greed" is also the worst Sin() ;)

Well... one can ask the math-gods. Sometimes they grace us with miracles :P
[Martin be like: Oh shut the f*up and learn some math and ASM already] :lol: :lol: :lol:
R&R

Next

Return to User Examples